Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Proper age structure for the way a deer herd is meant to me made up. (numbers just guessed, may not be exactly correct)

Which seems more healthy to you?

50% 1.5's
30% 2.5's
10% 3.5's
10% 4.5+

85% 1.5's
10% 2.5's
5% 3.5+
I thought it was 90% 1.5 yr olds? Where are you getting these numbers from?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I'm sure the age structure of the does is just fine, since we don't attpempt to shoot 80% of the existing does each season.
LOL well that's real convenient
Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

I loathe them in Pennsylvania. I never have been, nor never will be hung up on antler size. PA has had point restrictions for several years. Upon initial discussion, I honestly didn't think they would affect my own hunting and almost didn't care one way or the other if the regulation was passed. Now, I can see that I was wrong. During the same period as the antler restriction inaugauration, Pennsylvania's game commission went on a crusade to reduce the deer population, under the pretense of increasing the average antler size. Funny now, how I don't see the bigger bucks, let alone the number of deer that I once did. (Formerly, if I so much as bumped a deer heading in or coming out in the dark I considered myself lucky. I neverdid see the "herds" of deerthat the game commission claimed. Last season, I went 15 days straight without ANY encounter or sighting to even know whitetails still existed.) The bucks that I do see are smaller than before, and I feel like such an @ss staring at one throught binoculars at 5 or 10 yds trying to count their points and make sure they are all an inch long. I don't care what it is. After 20 yrs of hunting, I'd still be thrilled to shoot it! But, I abide them, and ifI can't be certain, I let them walk, albeit shaking my head in disgust the entire time...

I don't see what theso called "QDM" buzzis about. WHAT is the point of shooting a deer with large antlers if ALL the deer have been cultivated to produce such? Where's the trophy?!!! Even if some hunters only want to kill "big" deer, "big" is still relative to the region.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: mez

Who am I to tell someone how they can or can't enjoy deer hunting so I will have a chance at a bigger deer.
You wouldn't be telling anybody anything. It's a matter of the LAW telling us what we will be shooting or not be shooting. Reguardless of what we think/believe, all we have to worry about is following the LAW.
As far as AR go, I personally think it's the very best thing the PGC has done in aLONG time! I'm seeing more bigger bucks than ever before, no doubt.This gives our bucks a chance to live past 1 1/2.What needs to happen now,is for them to "close" antlerlessseason in some "counties", andlower the number of available tags in others. This doe situation needs a lot more attention than it's getting. It seems to be too across the board/broad. Attention needs to be paidmore onspecific area's. Counties, not whole WMU's.JMHO
hey look someone else who hunts in the same region as I and sees the same thing as I do! How bout that? People are so quick to argue a subject that sometimes doesnt apply to them or even their state. Which is beyond me. PA needs the AR and but they also need to get in line the doe management as well. Not giving unlimited tags to the areas who have the fewest areas that occupy deer.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ok Guys ....... lets talk about WHY AR's are needed ...... let's be honest here ....

1. Increase in anler size and age of bucks
2. Help balance buck/doe ratio - this is only true if the doe permits are handled properly

anything else???
Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM

NOPE! Thank you Preach for summarizing this entire thread. You hit the nail on the head. Lets all say a prayer for PA.

Preach thank you for restoring order you may want to take a look at the exterminator thread. Some may need some order, including myself soon[:@]
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PABuckbuster12

NOPE! Thank you Preach for summarizing this entire thread. You hit the nail on the head. Lets all say a prayer for PA.

Preach thank you for restoring order you may want to take a look at the exterminator thread. Some may need some order, including myself soon[:@]
So then the BIGGEST benefit is the balanced deer herd leading to a healthy deer herd ....... I guesss that answers your question, Bruce ....
Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Germ

Jim have you read the book "Deer Wars"?
Don't you HATE how Bawana ignores questions sometimes?[:@][:-]
Look here no show ,[:-]I just got in from mowing two acres of clover. Some of us have jobs. Gary ,The book no I have not. Will not . I am concerned with the property I own and manage. You are all free to stop in any time for a tour.

For the black top dwellers in Armstrong county ,and below ,kill them all,bait them, poision them,but some of us farmers like a few around for entertainment.

Maybe a poll from land owners would be more accurate as to how we feel.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: AK in PA

I loathe them in Pennsylvania. I never have been, nor never will be hung up on antler size. PA has had point restrictions for several years. Upon initial discussion, I honestly didn't think they would affect my own hunting and almost didn't care one way or the other if the regulation was passed. Now, I can see that I was wrong. During the same period as the antler restriction inaugauration, Pennsylvania's game commission went on a crusade to reduce the deer population, under the pretense of increasing the average antler size. Funny now, how I don't see the bigger bucks, let alone the number of deer that I once did. (Formerly, if I so much as bumped a deer heading in or coming out in the dark I considered myself lucky. I neverdid see the "herds" of deerthat the game commission claimed. Last season, I went 15 days straight without ANY encounter or sighting to even know whitetails still existed.) The bucks that I do see are smaller than before, and I feel like such an @ss staring at one throught binoculars at 5 or 10 yds trying to count their points and make sure they are all an inch long. I don't care what it is. After 20 yrs of hunting, I'd still be thrilled to shoot it! But, I abide them, and ifI can't be certain, I let them walk, albeit shaking my head in disgust the entire time...

I don't see what theso called "QDM" buzzis about. WHAT is the point of shooting a deer with large antlers if ALL the deer have been cultivated to produce such? Where's the trophy?!!! Even if some hunters only want to kill "big" deer, "big" is still relative to the region.
You whole post is regarding HR (herd reduction) Antler restrictions did not do that.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: Germ

Jim have you read the book "Deer Wars"?
Don't you HATE how Bawana ignores questions sometimes?[:@][:-]
Look here no show ,[:-]I just got in from mowing two acres of clover. Some of us have jobs.
[:@]Bawana .....

how far from Buffalo do you live, Jim?

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.