Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them? >

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

The QDMA president was quoted in an article last year in Field and Stream regarding an exclusive hunting club in South Carolina I think. There are HEAVY fines for shooting younger, smaller bucks. Members pay a monetary fine as well as having hunting privileges revoked for a certain number of seasons depending on the deer they shot. The QDMA president said that this operation was the absolute Pinnacle of what QDMA was about and what everyone should strive to emulate.
That is sad - very, very sad.[:'(]

probably 90% of our buck population was made up of 1.5 yr olds....that just ain't normal under any situation.
Not "normal" equals not healthy? How? Not "healthy" from a trophy standpoint maybe.
Where a lot of sickly, malnourished deer being taken? If so, it was a numbers management problem.

To be "normal", we would have to eliminate all human predation, bring back all the natural ones, and reduce the human encrouchment and population by about 99% - you know, like it was here 400 years ago. Not going to happen.

Steve
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I know you don't agree with the guy Germ, most people that are truly into managing deer do not. That is why I think the term QDMA should only be used by those that buy into the growing and shooting big bucks.

How would issuing fewer buck tags not work? Not work as to what goal, managing the deer or having more big deer?
Poaching hasn't increased in any of the areas that I hunt where they issue fewer tags.

We do have a size limit on walleye here, a slot. 15-18 inches goes back. You can only keep one over 18. Limit of 4 per day.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mez

I know you don't agree with the guy Germ, most people that are truly into managing deer do not. That is why I think the term QDMA should only be used by those that buy into the growing and shooting big bucks.

How would issuing fewer buck tags not work? Not work as to what goal, managing the deer or having more big deer?
Poaching hasn't increased in any of the areas that I hunt where they issue fewer tags.

We do have a size limit on walleye here, a slot. 15-18 inches goes back. You can only keep one over 18. Limit of 4 per day.
MI hunters love the Mulligan buck tag system(I am coined that phrase)

We tried to get an OBR passed here in MI. 90% MI hunters would not stand for it, we would have a revolt[&:]

We had unlimted doe tags and were making progress, majority revolted, we now are in serious trouble in SLP in some spots.

States like MI and PA have a deep hunting tradition, That tradition is hard to break.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

REgardelss of the entire discussion that has been goin on, I have to say I am all for AR. I manage my property very strictly and not only have i seen decent antler growth but the overall health of the deer on my property has improved. i began doing this long before missouri even started AR in the northern counties.

I'm not sure why but i felt that i should include this paragraph from my MDC fall regulations.

"The experimental antler-point-restriction proved to be popular with hunters in the pilot counties in north and mid-Mo.The AR more adult buck in the harvest but only increased doe harvest in the central group of counties.Although not all population/harvest management objectives were acheived, there were no negative biological consequences. Since a majority of hunters in many northern and central counties wanted the program expanded to areas where they hunt, the resriction was added to 36 more counties this year."

Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

People are against letting people kill small bucks but are for hunting elephants....interesting. I thought we are supposed to allow people to hunt how they like and not infringe on their freedom of choice.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

People are against letting people kill small bucks but are for hunting elephants....interesting. I thought we are supposed to allow people to hunt how they like and not infringe on their freedom of choice.
It goes beyond shooting small bucks. What is wrong with trying to manage for a proper age structure?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is a proper age structure...4.5 year old bucks running all over the place? Is that the proper age structure for the ecosystem or for the hunters?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

It goes beyond shooting small bucks. What is wrong with trying to manage for a proper age structure?
You claimed that this is the age structure of PA's bucks:

ORIGINAL: rybohunter
Our herd was FAR out of whack and had NO age class structure. probably 90% of our buck population was made up of 1.5 yr olds....
So, do you also know the age structure of the Does in PA? What is that? How will you manage for the proper age structure of the Does since managing for proper age structure and not bigantlers is what is supposed to be going on?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Proper age structure for the way a deer herd is meant to me made up. (numbers just guessed, may not be exactly correct)

Which seems more healthy to you?

50% 1.5's
30% 2.5's
10% 3.5's
10% 4.5+

85% 1.5's
10% 2.5's
5% 3.5+
Old 08-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure the age structure of the does is just fine, since we don't attpempt to shoot 80% of the existing does each season.

Quick Reply: Antler Restiction programs ...are you for or against them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.