Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 compound bow advice >

compound bow advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

compound bow advice

Old 08-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Default compound bow advice

How much practice to do you guys do before you feel comfortable enough to hunt with a new bow? I am considering a compound this year, (never had one before). Many many of you started with cheaper bows and moved up over the years from what I have found.

If you have to buy a bow once with abudget of 500-700 what would you be looking at? 60-70lb with a 29-29.5 inch draw. I have got an hour drive to any local shop that carry quality gear. (PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, Fred Bear ect.)

New or used? (knowing that used won't get me the same help from a dealer)

Thx
Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: compound bow advice

If I were you, I'd go shoot a few bows and see what feels good to you in your price range. Also, some may disagree, but I'd stick with a bow that maxes out at 60 or a little above. Its no fun sitting in the cold for a few hours and then trying to draw back just to find that you can't do it. Also, when you practice, you won't tire out as easily with a 60 pound bow. Some might opt for higher poundage, but I guess it boils down to apersonal decision. Also, you should get measured when you go to your pro shop so you'll know exactly what your draw length is. Getting a bow that fits is important.Regarding how much practice you need, I guess that would depend on whether you feel you are shooting well with your new bow when the season starts. It sounds like you're already experienced shooting a recurve, so being ready for this season might still be possible, only you'll know when you feel comfortable enough. Picking up a compoundwith a release is probably alot easier than going from a compound to a recurve imo. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will know when your ready. dont go until you feel you can shoot a deer in the vitals. you dont want to get a gut shot. its a bad feeling. i got a gut shot on my first buck. he was a monster!! it took me about a week to find him.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM

Well I was able to spend some time shooting today. Bowtech, Hoyt and Mathews. I must say that the Mathews are super smooth, but the grip also made a difference. Hoyt was too narrow for me. I am going back to the shop to shoot the drenalin and dxtbefore I make afinal decision. Even loaded down, I can't believe how light the dxt is.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 AM

finally picked out a new bow after a couple hours shooting.... this thread is useful... see below.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on the bow. They are sweet.

I make sure I am grouping well with broadheads and i practice out further than I ever plan on shooting. If I want to be able to shoot a deer at 30 yds. then I make darned sure I can group well at 40 and so on

rick

Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM

Well good bow, and grats on learning the man law.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:19 PM

Great choice, man. I don't think you will ever be disapointed with a Matthews. Also, great choice on the rest. I love my QAD. That is probably the only accessory I added that I have not been tempted to experiment with something else.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks!

so far I love it. I'm having a hard time trying to find a dxt case though..lol. My brother set up his new bow (pse firestorm lite) with a new biscuit style from octane this past weekend. It's sweet and doesn't tear up fletches. So far I like the drop away, but it does seem to "click" at full draw. Haven't figured out if that can be fixed yet.