Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elk calling ?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default elk calling ?

my season opens aug. 30th and just wanted to no what type of calling sounds i would use if any at all that early in season. this is my first elk hunt i live on the oregon coast temps here range 60 to 72 deg. windy most of the time. im new to the area so i will be hunting alone wife will tag along. thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Banned

Default RE: elk calling ?

if you bugle, squeal like a young bull and do cow calls - try and sound like a young horny bull with 2-3 cows and a bigger bull might come in

see, the big bulls let the smaller ones gather all the cows, they don't do it themselves, and then come in and beat ass and take 10-15 cows at a time. big bulls know how to play the game !
Old 08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk calling ?

I would suggest some soft, very cow calling. I would try to calves and cows moving thru and feeding.

I have had a good amount of success of calling back and forth, sounding like a herd feeding. Usually keep it up for a period of minutes and then making them less frequent in between my responses. I will be trying it again this year for sure

Good Luck