Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"? >

Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

I find it fascinating that people who claim to be "mature buck" hunters would forego a "more" mature animal.......for one with more rack size....but who is less "mature" in age structure. I'm not condemning the practice.....just saying I find it "fascinating".

"Might" the reason for this be......that "age structure" is the "great equalizer" when it comes to hunting "mature bucks"?

I mean.....a man in FL can target 3.5+yr old deer ......and in his mind.....he's leveled the playing field withhis compadrefrom IL.

Does this "leveling" of the playing field rub "some" the wrong way?

Curious at to your thoughts on this.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I find it fascinating that people who claim to be "mature buck" hunters would forego a "more" mature animal.......for one with more rack size....but who is less "mature" in age structure. I'm not condemning the practice.....just saying I find it "fascinating".

"Might" the reason for this be......that "age structure" is the "great equalizer" when it comes to hunting "mature bucks"?

I mean.....a man in FL can target 3.5+yr old deer ......and in his mind.....he's leveled the playing field with his compadre from IL.

WHoa.....That is kinda hard to read with all of the "____" on every other word! I caught "myself" reading it the way "Chandler Bing" from TV show "Friends" talks! LOL!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't hate me because I can punctuate, BHF (find another reason).

And you watched that show?

Hand over the man card.[8D]
Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I mean.....a man in FL can target 3.5+yr old deer ......and in his mind.....he's leveled the playing field withhis compadrefrom IL.

WHoa.....That is kinda hard to read with all of the "____" on every other word! I caught "myself" reading it the way "Chandler Bing" from TV show "Friends" talks! LOL!
GMMAT does that so you don't get it "twisted" or "spun".
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're really that petty that you have to stoop to this......please just refrain from posting on my threads.

Please.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well "W" "T" "F"

It's the entire look, not just the rack
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

You still havent answered (or in some cases, attempted to) the question.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 PM

I would think in the 1 buck states, a lot of hunters want a mature deer AND a high score..... And by passing a mature deer with a low score may give them that chance.....

I've passed several mature bucks that didn't have squat for score on properties where I'm only allowed one buck... I did that b/c I know there is a good chance I can kill a deer with both attributes.....
Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The property thatI hunt, it is at least a4 1/2yo regardless of what is on his head!!!! Thats the name of the game there, I knew it when I opted to lease the place and that is the way it will be, regardless if it is a 110" 4 1/2yo or a 140" 4 1/2yo.....They are both shooters on our place, I had a hard time last year passing a high 130's 3 1/2yo (would be the best deer I have shot to date) but in a couple years it will be worth letting him go.

If I was hunting a different place my standards would be different I am sure but I chose to hunt this place!!!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you're really that petty that you have to stoop to this......please just refrain from posting on my threads.

Please.
Last I checked the threads belong to HNI, so they belong to all of us.[8D]

To your point, I honestly don't believe that the hunter in FL is hunting on the same playing field as the hunter in IL if they are both hunting 3.5 year old deer. The reason for that is in FL there is far lesshospitable habitat to support whitetailsland and the bag limits are incredibly liberal (a buck a day last I checked). Whereas in IL the habitat is much more conducive to holding and supporting whitetails and the bag limits are far more stringent allowing for more 3.5 year olds to grow.

That doesn't make the 3.5 year old buck any less difficult to hunt, but you have more opportunity to trip one up if there are more of them around.

Quick Reply: Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.