Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"? >

Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Last I checked the threads belong to HNI, so they belong to all of us.[8D]
Noted

Whereas in IL the habitat is much more conducive to holding and supporting whitetails and the bag limits are far more stringent allowing for more 3.5 year olds to grow.

That doesn't make the 3.5 year old buck any less difficult to hunt, but you have more opportunity to trip one up if there are more of them around.
I'm betting that isn't a very popular opinion, to some, though.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I saw a poster once in the Church Library...

"What is right is not always popular; what is popular is not always right."
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think double creek hit the nail right no the head. I believe that the majority of these "mature" buck hunters are hunting in areas where they typically have a higher percentage of getting shots at mature animals every year. From what i have noticed, most of the "mature" buck hunters are from states known for larger more mature bucks. That being said, i believe that they feel that their chances are still high if they pass on an "inferior" mature buck that they will see a better one. I know that where i hunt, i might only have one maybe 2 chances a year at a mature animal, so he is getting shot any chance i get.

Going down the same road but with a slighly different spin on it, toss this around for a minute.Hypothetically, say you are hunting a specific animal that you have a history with ( for example- Mr. Mass, The Bull if he were still alive) and he came by with part of his rack busted off, would everyone here still take the shot. God knows i would.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

( for example- Mr. Mass, The Bull if he were still alive) and he came by with part of his rack busted off, would everyone here still take the shot. God knows i would.
So would I. He wasn't any smarter with the other side.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: njbuck22

I think double creek hit the nail right no the head. I believe that the majority of these "mature" buck hunters are hunting in areas where they typically have a higher percentage of getting shots at mature animals every year. From what i have noticed, most of the "mature" buck hunters are from states known for larger more mature bucks. That being said, i believe that they feel that their chances are still high if they pass on an "inferior" mature buck that they will see a better one. I know that where i hunt, i might only have one maybe 2 chances a year at a mature animal, so he is getting shot any chance i get.

Going down the same road but with a slighly different spin on it, toss this around for a minute.Hypothetically, say you are hunting a specific animal that you have a history with ( for example- Mr. Mass, The Bull if he were still alive) and he came by with part of his rack busted off, would everyone here still take the shot. God knows i would.
I don'tand that's the way I like it[8D]
Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

I saw a poster once in the Church Library...

"What is right is not always popular; what is popular is not always right."
Well said. As I noted in the "How Popular Do You Think You Are?" thread I didn't care about popularity in high school so I sure as hell don't care about it now.

The fact is the scales are tipped in your example to the hunters in IL pursuing 3.5 year old bucks. However, that gets back to the "L" word debate so let's not go there.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

But BRY it goes even further. Even though we both know what you said (RE: the IL hunter) is true.....I STILL think it rubs a lot of guys from the big buck states the wrong way when people speak as if the age structure of the bucks they're (both)hunting (being ne and the same)somehow levels the playing field.

Do you disagree?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leave IL out of this. Wisconsin has more big bucks than IL. Hell, they even have GregH.[8D]
Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Leave IL out of this. Wisconsin has more big bucks than IL. Hell, they even have GregH.[8D]
Yeah....but I've seen that little IL patch he hunts. I think we got it JUST right
Old 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

But BRY it goes even further. Even though we both know what you said (RE: the IL hunter) is true.....I STILL think it rubs a lot of guys from the big buck states the wrong way when people speak as if the age structure of the bucks they're (both)hunting (being ne and the same)somehow levels the playing field.

Do you disagree?
Nope. Everyone likes to think they are good at what they do. In the deer hunting world shooting big bucks equals being a good hunter in many people's eyes. Nobody likes to hear that even though they've got a wall full of nice bucks they aren't accomplishing as much as they'd like to think.

That is exactly what the location argument does.

I do believe that one benefit the guys in the big buck states have over those of us that don't have as much exposure to older deer is that since they have more mature bucks around they can learn from their exposure to those deer and the mistakes they make from them. If you see say seven 3.5 year old deer a season you will learn just from being around those deer. You will know how they act/react and be better able to predict their behavior than someone who may only see one 3.5 year old every 2 years.

So, in effect having more big bucks around does have the potential to make you a better hunter so long as you have the aptitude to learn from what you are seeing in the woods. Some have that and some don't, regardless of where they live.

Quick Reply: Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.