Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"? >

Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Jeff - please let it go. No matter what you say he is gonna egg you on.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Last edited by GMMAT; 12-06-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have said over and over again there are no bucks like that where you hunt. You were not totallyhonest. That's all.

I don't hunt where he does, Scott (haven't EVER). I don't hunt HOW he "hunts". I'm totally honest about all of that. NOW what are you TRYING to say?
I am just saying after all thoseposts about knowing your herd through trail cams and stand sightingsand that there are no big bucks in your area, turns out there was one after all. That's all and nothing more.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

Jeff - please let it go. No matter what you say he is gonna egg you on.
I amnot trying to egg anyone on. I asked a question.

You're right, Greg. When a man uses a poacher to bolster something....with NO other reason than to try to make me to appear to be untruthful (when I'm the MOST open person on thissite about his hunting area).......I'm pissin' in the wind.
Dude you are off base. I am done with this conversation.... This is not why I come to HNI. Take care.

Later.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Edited. Done.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel I owe it to myself to type something in here after reading the last 11 pages.

I think that there is alot of other factors other than age that can equilize a hunter with another.

The L word is one thing, not just states, but public vs private.

Other people that hunt the property, both trespassers and hunters that have permission. (ie your buddies)

I really don't think that there ever could be just one equilizer.

Having said all of this, I do think that age might be the biggestdeterminant, but its not a majority over the rest of the factors.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckeye
You have said over and over again there are no bucks like that where you hunt. You were not totallyhonest. That's all.
Hummm?? There was a Big Buck there![8D]

I doubt there are anymore though

Dan
Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM

Jeff you mentioned something to me about how many mature deer I have taken with my bow and said none. The truth is I don't know, I have never aged one and don't know how. I would guess the biggest deer I have taken with a bow is not mature, but he is the biggest I have taken with a bow. I have taken more than one with a gun, and yes they were big bucks in my eyes. This is the biggest I have taken with a bow. I doubt he is at his prime.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM

These two gun kills I assume are mature and rather big to me.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I find it fascinating that people who claim to be "mature buck" hunters would forego a "more" mature animal.......for one with more rack size....but who is less "mature" in age structure. I'm not condemning the practice.....just saying I find it "fascinating".
I find that fascinating as well.

"
Might" the reason for this be......that "age structure" is the "great equalizer" when it comes to hunting "mature bucks"?
I don't find myself hunting to be equal to anyone I know in this country. I hunt for me and me alone.

I mean.....a man in FL can target 3.5+yr old deer ......and in his mind.....he's leveled the playing field withhis compadrefrom IL.
He might. I don't think about it when I have a buck in front of me. I hunt for me.

Does this "leveling" of the playing field rub "some" the wrong way?
It might rub some people the wrong way but I'm not them and I hunt for me.

Curious at to your thoughts on this.
That's my thoughs on this and otherwise I don't care. I hunt for me. If joe smoe shoots a 150" 3.5 year old in KS or IL or OH and I shoot a 3.5 year old in my neck of the woods and he feel superior, so be it. I'm still happy.

There I hope I did better this time.
Rob,
I agree!! I hunt for myself and only myself. Some are always trying to pit themselves against every other hunter and if they come up short then whine out the excuses.

My feelings on that is you want/need the competetion then go to a competetive sport, Golf, racing, 3D, etc.

IMHO Hunting wasn't and never should be a competetion between hunters. It sure won't be for me!Any recognition should go to the animals. After all we are supposed to be honoring them.

Dan

Quick Reply: Mature buck "Age structure" the "Great Equalizer"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.