Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Listen,  Watch, Learn >

Listen, Watch, Learn

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Listen, Watch, Learn

Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Listen, Watch, Learn

Good stuff.
Thanks for posting this Germ!
Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The REASON the float works is that a tight "float" has the pin COMING BACK TO thecenter the majority of the time, while trying to hold rock steady and commanding the release to fire while ON the target the pin has nowhere to go but AWAY from the center.

You should almost picture your float saying, "to the center, to the center, to the center........."
If you try to make it go off IN the center it will be saying "away, away,away"

Since the floating pin is mostly going to the center the majority of your good surprise shots will FIND the center with proper shot execution and your misses will be minimal as well.
Commanding will result in your good shots being close sometimes, but your bad ones ........well they'll be really bad.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt and Rob have pretty much covered everything. It's impossible to keep your pin perfectly steady. As they said, you just have to trust your float, and believe it's going to hit where you are LOOKING. There are a few ways you CAN steady your pin up form wise. They are what the pro's take advantage of, and that's why you see them rock solid.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

The last time I trusted my float I ended up in the river....ohhh your "float" lol
Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I was shooting a lot more and had some of my best scores there were at least 10 arrows (in a 30 target round) that literally scared the crap out of me when the shot went off. That is, I completely did not expect the shot because I was hovering or floating on the target and my release tripped. If you can get to that point where you consistantly have a surprise release, you will shoot better.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

This weekend was very beneficial for me as well. Just watching those 2 shoot and try to immitate, but never duplicate, their shooting has helped me with some of my "shot thoughts". Instead of "holding" the bow at full draw, I now try to think of continuing to draw it with my back until it goes off. That was due directly to watching Rob andBuckeye shoot.

Of course, figuring out last night that my nock was loose and moving around helped as well[8D]
Old 07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Brknarrow1970

but was it a spoon free weekend and those guys are a bucket of info
Not exactly, I believe there is some footage somewhere of Rob spooning Germ, which explains that "smile" he had on his face!!!!

Seriously, I was in awe of how well these guys shot. I shoot good some of the time, then fall apart, then good again, then flat on my face again. These guys were CONSISTENTLY GOOD/GREAT!!!! And I remember a couple shots Rob was unsure of his hit, that he was a 10 or 11. If I'm unsure of where I hit, I'm usually walking around in a corn field wondered where the $%#*@ that thing went.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

He wasn't spooning him, he was riding and whipping him like a wild stallionIf only I had my video camera ready for that... I bet I could have made some money blackmailing them with that one.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah Glasshopper, Yu lurn so flast!
Shooting with better shooters wont necessarily make anyone a better shot.
Shooting with better shooters, knowing they are better shooters and trying to understand why they are, will.
Guys like Rob, Buckeye, Matt, Rick James, tfox and some of the others on here have a wealth of knowledge to share and are willing to share it, which makes them top notch in my book.
Anyone getting a chanceto shoot with these guys and did not try to pick up on something has missed a great opportunity.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a disagreement Rob,just a question and an opinion from my experience.Most archery coaches will talk about having a shot sequence.Doing the same things in the same way every time.Some archers believe that it doesn't matter how you come to your aiming point,drawing directly to it,coming up from 6:00 to center or down from 12:00 to center.My personal experience has been that coming down from 12:00 to center locks my bow arm shoulder in a much more stable way,I am much steadier.
This is a technique I was talk by Bernie Pellerite several years ago at a three day instruction course.Your aiming process doesn't begin until you have centered on target.
I would be curious to hear what other folks here do.Draw directly to your aiming point coming up from the bottom or down from the top?

Quick Reply: Listen, Watch, Learn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.