Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Listen,  Watch, Learn >

Listen, Watch, Learn

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Listen, Watch, Learn

Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Listen, Watch, Learn

Did you in all this listening...spooning get Atlasman reinstated?
Old 07-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Funny you bring that up, Germ. I was shooting last night and I swear, in the back of my mind,I heard both of those guys saying "trust your float" on every shot.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: nodog

I was there to have a good time, I hardly even spoke about HNI. I just had fun, there is a time and place for that, this weekend was not it. IMO
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Host of Hosts

This is off subject....but what would make you think he'd want to come back? He's a big boy, he can try to get himself reinstated if he wants.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Since the weekend, I have been working on eliminating my trigger punchin'...I have noticed that my shoots have stopped stringing slightly right to left. Just taking my time, shooting at 20 yards working on the form in the backyard.

I used to shoot alot of 3D and sort of went away from shooting as I once used too. Getting back the right habits after so long is work. It was nice to have some great suggestions.

Again much appreciated
Old 07-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Trust your float, trust your float, I am your father..trust your float.[8D]
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 PM

This sounds interesting. Could one of you explain exactly what you mean by "trust your float"? I know that in my practice sessions I try to do the "drive by" and find myself frustrated quickly becauseI know that I can do better.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: txmarshmonkey

This sounds interesting. Could one of you explain exactly what you mean by "trust your float"? I know that in my practice sessions I try to do the "drive by" and find myself frustrated quickly becauseI know that I can do better.
Thanks!
Not even the most proficient shooter in the world can hold a pin dead steady on a target. These shooter's pin floats around the target and even though as the pin is floating on the target and the bow goes off the arrow usually(almost always) hits where it's suppose to. At times it's magical.

Floating a target does not mean you go from top to bottom or from bottom to top or left/right. You put the pin on the SPOT and the pin floats around it. You have to trust that when the bow goes off, preferably from a suprise release like back tension or squeezing not yanking the trigger that the arrow is going to be there.

Of course this means your using good form and follow through (your not peaking up to see where the arrow hits) but you are trusting your float.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM

Thanks Rob. That's kinda what I figured it meant. I'll work on it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I always hate hearing a target shooter ask or say that he comes up to the target or he comes down to the target. That always tells me that he's doing a drive by. He's shooting when the pin cross the intended target. By the time the eye sees the pin cross the mark, the brains says NOW and the finger yanks it, it's usually too late. This also tends to lead to peaking to see and the dreaded target panic.

If and when a shooter tends to trust his float and the shot is a surprise the groups tighten up and the scores go up. It's not magic, it's mental and trusting your form and shot execution.

I remember mentioning to Germ, I watched his head come off his peep and then saw the bow go off. At that point I think we both talked about the drive by shooting and something about his dreaded FOBs..LOL

Keep your form, trust your float and the shot will be where you want it to be (if your yardage is good, if not you'll be center but high or low, still a good shot, just a misjudged distance).

Quick Reply: Listen, Watch, Learn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.