Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dragging deer with a deer sled? >

Dragging deer with a deer sled?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dragging deer with a deer sled?

Old 07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dragging deer with a deer sled?

I hunt deep in the woods, flat, bottom ground, usually with some water. I almost always kill my deer at least .5 miles in from the truck, up to1.5 miles. I have a deer cart, but it is a pain to drag one out when it is growed up. Other than that I just gut them in the woods, wrap em, and drag em out. They get heavy very quick. I was wondering if any of you that have used any of the deer sleds, or plastic type sled to drag one out? I went to cabelas to read reviews on theirs and I didn't like what I read. Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dragging deer with a deer sled?

if you can keep a deer on it one of those roal up sleds pull very easy .
Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Them sleds that roll up are great. Have used them many times and they help alot.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before I started backpacking them out I used to use the kids saucer type sleds, and even sometimes the roll up sleds that the kids use. They both worked fairly well, and were a bit cheaper than buying the roll up deer sleds from Cabelas or wherever.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I couldn't figure the roll up one out, seemed like I was knitting a sweater or something. I like the ridged plastic sleds with holes in the rim for tieing them down. It is amazing what you can easily drag a deer over, under and around with one of those things.

I just take care of things and go and get it. Not trying to carry everything out at once that way. Most do just that with a 4 wheeler.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nodog

I couldn't figure the roll up one out, seemed like I was knitting a sweater or something. I like the ridged plastic sleds with holes in the rim for tieing them down. It is amazing what you can easily drag a deer over, under and around with one of those things.

I just take care of things and go and get it. Not trying to carry everything out at once that way. Most do just that with a 4 wheeler.
I agree, while I've never used the soft type, modifying the hard plastic sleds a little (my choice is with a ratchet strap) they become very secure and easy to drag over even big obsticles like smaller diameter fallen trees. The sled I use actually belongs to my boss and is the smaller sized "jet sled" from cabelas...definetly go the larger one if you pick this route. We also drilled the front so it's now pulled by a greater length of higher quality rope.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:29 AM

I have tried both the cart and the sled and much prefer the cart. The deer sled does help out a lot over using nothing. I would recommend it. If you do use a sled, bring some extra rope with you and tie the deer's front legs around it's head and tie the back of the sled up so the back legs are folded under the deer. The legs will hit every tree you walk past if you don't.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, tying them up correctly is key. I bought some different cord then the rope supplied and use every gromet on the sled. I actully like the sled an aweful lot and keep one in the truck or cabin at all times.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one thing that is nice about the roll-up kind is you can pack them in everytime you go in the woods. The bad thing is they are pretty much disposable - I almost ripped thru one with the strap last year and I don't think it will last thru another half-mile drag.

One of the kid sleds will outlast the roll-up, you just have to find a good place to hide it or leave it in the truck until you need it.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just rescued a brand new plastic sled from the transfer station. I was looking to buy one last season, but I couldn't seem to find one. Now I should be good to go. Dragging's a drag.

Quick Reply: Dragging deer with a deer sled?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.