Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound bow - set up question >

Compound bow - set up question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound bow - set up question

Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Compound bow - set up question

The line from our nocking point.......to the "spot" at 20yds would be another straight line.
No, the illustration that Bry presents is accurate, rudimentary but accurate. What it doesn't show is nock travel would create a line compensating for the arch the arrow must travel to drop into the target. If you followed the arrow path in flight with a line, nock travel would would rise because the bow/arrow is angled up, not nock to rest but because human influence.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

The arrow is shot up to compensate for gravity.
Yesalong with air resistance.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

If you drew a perpendicular line from the center line of an imaginary circle directly to a theoretical sharp corner would the difference be greater than or equal to the foc of a binary equation?

This is one of those questions I just can seem to find a logical answer to.Any help would be much appreciated.
If it make a difference to your answer. You are on the down wind side of a white oak tree seventeen and one half feet from the ground in a summit viper using non mechanical broad headsthis is on aThursday evening after a Monday new moon hunting public land.
I'll address these questions individually as soon as I finish the equation Binary/FOC with a square root of KE minus FPS squared. I almost have it worked out.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

True dat.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

The line from our nocking point.......to the "spot" at 20yds would be another straight line.
Of course it would. You can always draw a straight line between 2 points.

My question is.....we're compensating for the line of the arrow (it would seem, to me) by the line through the peep, 20yd pin and target (at 20yds) pointing in a downward line.

So.....would THAT (alone) compensate for the arrow NOT having to be in a straight line to the target? I'm simply asking.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you held your arrow perfectly level and released it, it would never rise, only drop. (assuming your nock point is level and your bow has perfectly horizontal nock travel).

When you are aiming at targets at a distance, of course you have to aim higher to compensate for gravity. In that case, the arrow does initially rise. But thats only because you are pointing it slightly skyward.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey look its my Nova! I feel so special.

Notice the arrow path. It will cross the line of sight initially close, then will once again cross further out due to trajectory. There really isn't a trad/compound line in the dirt drawn on this concept.

I probably got the question wrong though.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Air resistance has no effect on the FLIGHT PATH of the arrow...only the speed. Imagine a world with air, but no gravity. Your arrow would slow down, but never fall.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

Air resistance has no effect on the FLIGHT PATH of the arrow...only the speed. Imagine a world with air, but no gravity. Your arrow would slow down, but never fall.
Then why do bowhunters use flu-flus when pheasant hunting? How can you say that air resistance has no effect of the flight path of an arrow? If that was true, you should be able to use Flu Flu fletch and Blazers at 80 yards and they would have the same flight path.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Using Matt/PA's example......of the arrow line and the sight line meeting at 8yds (+/-....it really makes no difference where these lines meet....as long as we agree they DO "meet" at a relatively short distance.....prior to 20yds)........It would seem, to me, that the lines intersect at 8yds (naturally).

My question, again.....is...is the line thorugh the nocking point....the arrow tip....and the target at 20yds a straight, levelline.....and "compensation" made by the arrow drop beyond the 8yd intersection point?

Again....it would seem, to me, that the line from the eye.....through the peep.......through the 20 yd pin.....to the spot at 20yds.....HAS to be "straight".

Quick Reply: Compound bow - set up question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.