Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Compound bow - set up question >

Compound bow - set up question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Compound bow - set up question

Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Compound bow - set up question

Imagine a world with air, but no gravity. Your arrow would slow down, but never fall.
OK let's imagine that scenerio. Why would it slow down if there was no gravity? Maybe because of air resistance? If it starts to slow down, would it continue to slow down to the point of stopping?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gzg38b
Then why do bowhunters use flu-flus when pheasant hunting?
To SLOW the arrow down.

How can you say that air resistance has no effect of the flight path of an arrow?
Because it doesn't. Air does not cause the arrow to fall to the ground. Gravity does.

If that was true, you should be able to use Flu Flu fletch and Blazers at 80 yards and they would have the same flight path.
That would be true in a world with air but no gravity. Just as I said in my earlier post. A slower arrow "feels" the effect of gravity in a shorter distance, but it is still ONLY gravity that causes the arrow to drop.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My question, again.....is...is the line thorugh the nocking point....the arrow tip....and the target at 20yds a straight, levelline.....and "compensation" made by the arrow drop beyond the 8yd intersection point?

I'm understanding more what your asking. If you draw a straight line from your nocking point to the 20 yard target, your broadhead/arrow point will not be in that straight line. The tip of the arrow will be above it. Matt's example is the the arrow intersecting the line of sight.

Again....it would seem, to me, that the line from the eye.....through the peep.......through the 20 yd pin.....to the spot at 20yds.....HAS to be "straight".
Yes, that is fact. That is line of sight.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

Then why do bowhunters use flu-flus when pheasant hunting?
To SLOW the arrow down.

How can you say that air resistance has no effect of the flight path of an arrow?
Because it doesn't. Air does not cause the arrow to fall to the ground. Gravity does.

If that was true, you should be able to use Flu Flu fletch and Blazers at 80 yards and they would have the same flight path.
That would be true in a world with air but no gravity. Just as I said in my earlier post. A slower arrow "feels" the effect of gravity in a shorter distance, but it is still ONLY gravity that causes the arrow to drop.
atlas I mean Badger girl is correct.

Air resistance has effect on arrow speed, not path. Air resistance slowing the arrow down allows gravity to pull it faster to earth. An object in motion equation comes into play.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Imagine a world with air, but no gravity. Your arrow would slow down, but never fall.
OK let's imagine that scenerio. Why would it slow down if there was no gravity? Maybe because of air resistance? If it starts to slow down, would it continue to slow down to the point of stopping?
Yes, it would continue to slow down to the point of stopping. But it would never fall. The Flight Path of the arrow would be a straight line. With no gravity, there is no force to change the flight of the arrow from its original "straight" trajectory. Newton's Laws.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

atlas I mean Badger girl is correct.

Air resistance has effect on arrow speed, not path. Air resistance slowing the arrow down allows gravity to pull it faster to earth. An object in motion equation comes into play.
I also agree. I understand where Badger is coming from and her point in the strictess sense. I think in practice both are at work on an arrow to make up the arrows trajectory though.

Good work Badger!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

They need to teach physics in bowhunter ed
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

If you draw a straight line from your nocking point to the 20 yard target, your broadhead/arrow point will not be in that straight line.
OK. So.....taking this a bit further......the the arrow is NOT "level" if you were standing on perfectly level ground......to the ground????

In other words.....if we drew a line from your nocking point through your arrow tip......would this line be perpendicular to the ground (again....assuming we were standing on perfectly level ground)?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Thinking about that last question.......I suppose it would be level on "some" shots (according to what distance you were holding on).....and I also assume that distance would vary with each setup.

Make sense?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Badger Girl, you seem to be schooled in physics. Care to comment on how many archer use KE in the strictestlaws of Physics? ------I'm just kidding, please don't...............

Quick Reply: Compound bow - set up question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.