Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is NAP nitron brodheads good for me? >

Is NAP nitron brodheads good for me?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is NAP nitron brodheads good for me?

Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Spike

Default RE: Is NAP nitron brodheads good for me?

dukemichaels: have you ever used the nitron, is it really that bad?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Outdoor RY

If I remember correctly Duke uses the 125gr. Nitrons, MECHDOC also uses the 100gr. Nitrons. They flay great and penetration is no issue, the wil blow through a deer with a well placed shot.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

racewayking: do you get alot of blood ?
I have shot about seven deer since using them and only had one go beyond 100 yards. That deer was shot at last light and I had to come back in the morning to find him because I had a branch deflect my shot and I didn't want to push him. I did find some dried blood but considering the hit I really couldn't assess. I would say there are broadheads out there that might make bigger exit holes and show more blood but I love the Nitrons and Crossfires and have had no reason to switch from what works.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do use them.. have for the last 2 seasons.

Don't get me wrong I love them. But with that said.. and the deer I have taken with them.. there were some very bad blood trails on superb shots.

They just lack that extra blade I think. If they were available in a 4 blade they would be money.

A little 3 blade like the Nitron makes a minor surfice area cut.. a 4 blade about the same size makes a hole. Big difference.

I just think that as a new"er" hunter you would probably want a little better blood trail to follow. It will cut down on your frustration.. as it will be some of your first times EVER blood trailing an animal.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Spike

duke: well i've lost my fair share of blood trails in rifle already and it is THE most frustrating thing in the world...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

duke: well i've lost my fair share of blood trails in rifle already and it is THE most frustrating thing in the world...
With a WELL Placed BH, low in the vitals, keep in mind where the HEART really is, not where the 10 and 11 spots are on 3D targets, a WELL (alternate word "perfectly") placed arrow to me it at about the level of the top of the heart, MOST deer will not run over 100yds. That being said, anything that is UP in the cavity is not going to yield as good of a blood trail, whether your shooting a 3" Expandable, or a 1" Fixed, if you get high in the cavity, you end up with more blood filling the chest cavity, rather than on the ground. Nitrons are not a bad BH at all, nor are MOST heads on the market. The tip on the Nitron as was mentioned, is designed to bust through bone, and being hooded over the blades like it is, in some manner protect the blades. I haven't taken any deer with them, but they would seem sufficient as long as the shot is where it's supposed to be. I love this diagram, because it does such a nice job of showing guys where stuff REALLY is in a deer. NOTE how high the SHOULDER BLADE really is!!!! If you cant get and arrow through the blade, it's ok, because you SHOULDN'T be shooting THAT DAMNED high anyhow!!!!