Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fall guy retractor >

Fall guy retractor

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fall guy retractor

Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Fall guy retractor

So I'm always cautious when climbing up to me stad so i figured I would invest in a fall guy retractor. What it does is in the event of a fall it stops so you canget our balance and climb up again. Do you guys think this product is worth a try? Have any of you ever had any experiences with it? Or is it an unneeded POS? Any feedback would be great.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fall guy retractor

the fall guy retractor system is good but you have to climb the first time without it to install it.
They don't tell you that until the purchase is out the door and you read the instructions.

I would use it if---and only if---you'd be using the same stand over and over again. JMO
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Its a great product. I've got 4 of them. Once you put in the tree, you can almost forget about it. You just hook up before you start to climb and it goes right up the tree with you. A couple of negatives though:

1. The price is currently $89. What happened? These were like 50 bucks last year?????
2. They are not long enough. I usually hang my stands somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 feet (to bottom of platform). That means the fall guy is attached to the tree at about a height of 35 feet. At 20 feet in length, I usually have to add a strap just to get it to bottom of the treestand. A little bit of a hassle.
3. They can sometimes be a little noisy if you are not careful.

I'm going to try the hunter safety system Lineman's Climbing belt this year, mainly due to the expense of the Fall Guy.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought the hunter safety system linesmen belt for this year also..its like 40 bucks but it you have asome kinda mounatin climbing place around you could prolly make your own out of climbin rope an save alot of money.. very very simple design