Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control? >

Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

How many of you share your hunting lands? How many of you insist the "others" (to the best of your abilities) hunt "exactly" the way you do (RE: scent control measures, entrance/exit routes/etc...)?

What's the difference in your success rates?.....and....what might you attribute that to?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

If they are hunting with me Irespect them well enough to say nothing about how they hunt.

My hunting skills are only god like in my own mind.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm wondering how much control (if you wanna call it that) people have over the others they hunt with.

You know.....like....YOU could be doing everything "right".....but if the guy you hunt with is going in there "dirty" on days you're NOT there.....how does that affect YOURhunting?

Do you have similar outlooks on what to take? Are you "outhunting" "them"? Why? Or.....why not?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt with the fam and a few friends .... I am the most patient one out there ... they will get up at different times when they get bored .... but hunting with them is what I love ..... I just hunt the other side of the street ... Seriously, we are all different ... I would rather put up with their different styles, methodsor customs than to not hunt with them at all.....but that's me ..... as soon as hunting becomes all about me, I am done with it.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I often chase my buddies down, tackle them, and hold'em down while I spray scent control on them. I may also give them a finger full of slobber in their ear as punishment. I get my mom to come out and ask them if they've washed their hands.

LOL!!!

The truth is my buddies have grown up huntin just like me and I trust they know what they're doin'.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Yeah, I often chase my buddies down, tackle them, and hold'em down while I spray scent control on them. I may also give them a finger full of slobber in their ear as punishment. I get my mom to come out and ask them if they've washed their hands.

LOL!!!

The truth is my buddies have grown up huntin just like me and I trust they know what they're doin'.
LOL hillbilly

Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a guy I hunt with every once in awhile when our schedules align. I respect the guy alot. He is very quiet and respects the woods. He is patient and is willing to walk a long way to get on deer. He is also a hell of a topo map reader. I really hope I can hunt with him more this year as I seem to have alot of fun. I have always been a loner hunter type, but the older I get, the more I enjoy others around when I hunt.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I have always been a loner hunter type, but the older I get, the more I enjoy others around when I hunt.
I agree with this.....and it goes kinda without saying that if it's an invitee......you have a good idea of how that person's gonna hunt.....OR....you wouldn't have likey extended the invitation.

My question was more along the lines of people you CAN'T "control" (or 'control' their invitation)......or those who have every standing you do on the lands you hunt.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's why I am very selective of who I bring into my spots. So far that's only been one guy, my Dad.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm wondering how much control (if you wanna call it that) people have over the others they hunt with.

You know.....like....YOU could be doing everything "right".....but if the guy you hunt with is going in there "dirty" on days you're NOT there.....how does that affect YOURhunting?

Do you have similar outlooks on what to take? Are you "outhunting" "them"? Why? Or.....why not?
If it's my property, they won't be invited if I feel they are a sloppy hunter. If it's somewhere else, I just make sure I'm far enough away that they don't affect me. Dan's place in NY has a few other guys that are family friends that hunt it and don't hunt as "smart" as we do.They definitely smarten up the deer there. We just make sure that we hikein,stay away from the easily accessible and destination source stands, and we continue to encounter and kill more and bigger bucks than anyone else on the property........consistently.

There are only 2 people that hunt my place in PA with any regularity. Dan (Jawshooter) and my father. Dan hunts exactly the same way I do. Our success rates are very similar. I'm 1x buck up on him over the last 4 years, but I suspect that if you average us out over a longer period of time we will have very similar success.

My father on the other hand, is not so sensitive to the little things that we are. I love the guy to death, but he will sit ina stand when the wind is wrong, he won't follow a scent control regimen, and he likes to sleep on stand. He's my dad though and still my favorite hunting partner [8D]. He's been hunting this way since the 1960's, and he's not going to change now. His success is much lower than Dan and I, yet hunts the same property and a lot of the same stands. The deer are quickly educated to him once season starts, and change patterns based upon what stands he hunts. Luckily (for Dan and I), it's usually only our destination stands that he hunts, so Dan and I simply get into the timber to get away from the spots he pressures.

Quick Reply: Hunting buddies.......Things you can't control?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.