Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Surviving The Game >

Surviving The Game

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Surviving The Game

Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Surviving The Game

If you woke up tomorrow, as a yearling whitetail buck - given your current level of whitetail knowledge - could you survive one full year in your deer woods?

Now, this isn't as simple as "could you avoid the bowhunters?"
Likewise, let's not oversimplify this to:"can you avoid the gunners?"
It's
"CouldYOU survive, based ONLY on what you know right now."

That means choosing the right foods at the right times without poisoning yourself or compromising your health. That means avoiding the hunters at all costs. Survival means coming out of your reclusion long enough to pass on your genetic material to a fawn. Survival means avoiding motor vehicle collisions, orthopedic injuries, diseases, poisons - all while loading enough bodyfat to make the winter.

Could you do it?

__________________________________________________ _________

Personally, I say no. I'd slip up somewhere along the line. First off, I don't think I have the botanical knowledge to maximize my caloric intake 24-7-365 as I'd need to. I'd find myself staring at randomshrubbery wondering "can I eat that?" or "Which part should I eat?" "Is it better to eat the buds or the shoots or the leaves?" I'd probably spend my whole summer eating the wrong things and the whole winter starving. Caloric maximization and preservation requires a lot of specialized knowledge that I just don't have.

Secondly, even if I did know what to eat, and led a life ofreclusion and nocturnal movement - I'd likely bebumpedout ofmy bedduring gun season, and at-risk of running headlong into a battalion of gun-wielding hunters. So, even if you play all your cards right - you're still at risk of being pushed out of your bedroom and into harm's way.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Role Reversal: Could you survive?

Passing on my genes would sure lead to my demise.[]
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If you woke up tomorrow, as a yearling whitetail buck - given your current level of whitetail knowledge - could you survive one full year in your deer woods?

It's "Could you survive."

That means choosing the right foods at the right times without poisoning yourself or compromising your health. That means avoiding the hunters at all costs. Survival means coming out of your reclusion long enough to pass on your genetic material to a fawn. Survival means avoiding motor vehicle collisions, orthopedic injuries, diseases, poisons - all while loading enough bodyfat to make the winter.

Could you do it?

Personally, I say no. I'd slip up somewhere along the line. First off, I don't think I have the botanical knowledge to maximize my caloric intake 24-7-365 as I'd need to. I'd find myself staring at randomshrubbery wondering "can I eat that?" or "Which part should I eat?" "Is it better to eat the buds or the shoots or the leaves?" I'd probably spend my whole summer eating the wrong things and the whole winter starving. Caloric maximization and preservation requires a lot of specialized knowledge that I just don't have.

Secondly, even if I did know what to eat, and led a life ofreclusion and nocturnal movement - I'd likely bebumpedout ofmy bedduring gun season, and at-risk of running headlong into a battalion of gun-wielding hunters. My area is thick with gun hunters who aren't shy about orchestrating massive deer drives. No area is safe, public or private, residential or rural. So, even if you play all your cards right - you're still at risk of being pushed out of your bedroom and into harm's way.
Sure could in your woods I'd just make sure to let all the 2.5 go first[8D]
Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't survive.[&o]
Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Id say no but if I did turn into a yearling buck I would find a big mature buck and hang around him for a while to kinda learn the ropes and what to eat and not eat, ect...
My answer is no but I wouldnt go down without a fight
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am waiting for the, "This poll is gay" choice
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't make it past my first breeding season.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

It's "Could you survive."

Could you do it?

Secondly, even if I did know what to eat, and led a life ofreclusion and nocturnal movement - I'd likely bebumpedout ofmy bedduring gun season, and at-risk of running headlong into a battalion of gun-wielding hunters. My area is thick with gun hunters who aren't shy about orchestrating massive deer drives. No area is safe, public or private, residential or rural. So, even if you play all your cards right - you're still at risk of being pushed out of your bedroom and into harm's way.
Sure could in your woods I'd just make sure to let all the 2.5 go first[8D]
HAHA!!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably wouldn't survive.

I like woman to much.[&:]
Old 07-21-2008, 12:30 PM

probably not, all depends on how good of aim the orange army has that year.[&:]

Quick Reply: Surviving The Game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.