Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting a fox >

Bowhunting a fox

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting a fox

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bowhunting a fox

I have a beautiful red fox that I have seen on several occasions on one of my leased properties. He/she has been seen on several trailcams and today I was able towatch him with my binoculars for about 20 minutes. This red fox would make an awesome mount for my hunting room.

I went to my states hunting season section to check when or if there was a season, and this is what it says: Do you interpret the regulations the way I do? A bow is not considered a firearm, so it seems to me that it is open season. I am not in any of the county exclusions.
Fox
Hunting With Dogs and Firearms
Season:
November 1-February 28. Closed in Albemarle, Clarke, Culpeper, Fauquier (except Quantico), Loudoun, Louisa, and Rappahannock counties.
Dogs May Not Be Used:
[ul][*]To hunt foxes during deer season (with or without firearm)
[ul][*]On the Gathright, Goshen, Highland and Little North Mountain Wildlife Management Areas and within the boundaries of the George Washington/Jefferson National Forests. [/ul][/ul]
Hunting With Dogs Only
Continuous open season statewide; Closed March 1-October 31 on the George Washington/Jefferson National Forests and on Gathright, Goshen, G. Richard Thompson, Highland, Little North Mountain, and Rapidan WMAs.
Restrictions:
[ul][*]To have in possession a firearm when hunting fox outside of the dog and gun fox season. Possession shall include, but not be limited to, having any firearm in or on one's person, vehicle, or conveyance. [/ul]
Old 07-19-2008, 10:15 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting a fox

I'm with you on this one Hoyt . . . . not sure what else to think about it. I can't see doing it with a knife or spear. . . maybe a harpoon gun?
Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck. I had one come by my stand 2 evenings in a row once. The third evening I was up and ready for it. I was 20 ft in the air and I drew back aproximately 3" and that dude already had me pegged. I have never been so busted in my life! Thatfox ran off and I had to chuckle at myself while thinking, "sly as a fox."
Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want a nice mount don't waste the animal and shoot it anytime before at least mid November and preferably December or January when they prime up.

I used to fox hunt and trap alot and you don't get much in the way of a pelt in the early season and ESPECIALLY in the summer. Wait til the winter for any mount worth spending money on, and if you want a real challenge get out there after the deer seasons are over atdawn and camo up and use a rabbit in distress mouth call.
That's fun stuff.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

If you want a nice mount don't waste the animal and shoot it anytime before at least mid November and preferably December or January when they prime up.

I used to fox hunt and trap alot and you don't get much in the way of a pelt in the early season and ESPECIALLY in the summer. Wait til the winter for any mount worth spending money on, and if you want a real challenge get out there after the deer seasons are over atdawn and camo up and use a rabbit in distress mouth call.
That's fun stuff.
You beat me to it Matt.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:52 AM
Typical Buck

or, you could just leave him be.............

sorry for that comment but I have this thing with foxes, I've been having encounters all my life and they somehow manage to show themselves everytime I got lucky....
I've seen them all over the place, Costa Rican jungle, downtown Berlin, Brussels University, Liege city suburbs.....
really weird, all other critters may line up to get an arrow but foxes somehow won't get it coming from my bow..................

It was worth a try........................

Frank
Old 07-20-2008, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

all other critters may line up to get an arrow but foxes somehow won't get it coming from my bow..................
You forget your post in the wolf thread[&:].

We are over run withthem where I hunt. Could shoot one every hunt if I wanted. The best reason I can think of for not doing so is it probably wouldend my deer hunt
Old 07-20-2008, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to agree with the fox hunters Frank , but we have big problems with them over here too . Last 4 weeks 18 chickens been taken from uncles farm , so i will be taking freddie fox out the next time i see him .
Old 07-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Typical Buck

hey, it's just a suggestion.....

and I said, in my opinion, it's not a good idea to remove the wolves from the endagered list.............I never said you couldn't shoot one if they would cause a serious problem.....but it should be looked at case by case....not species by species.....

Frank

Oh and Bails, how you know it's foxes that took the chickens ? you have pine martins, and stuff too over there right ?

F.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck trying to get a fox w/ a bow, they are very cautious during daylight...

Honestly though, if you really want to have a nice mount I'd shoot it w/ a rifle, a .17 hmr, .222 swift or even a .223 An arrow could really mess up the hide...not to mention if you dont make the perfect shot...

If you need help gettin him let me know I do a lot of hunting in VA and I have all the gear to hunt foxes at night... And let me tell you, its an absolute blast!

Quick Reply: Bowhunting a fox

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.