Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do deer calls really work? >

do deer calls really work?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do deer calls really work?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: do deer calls really work?

do they work?? indeed

all the time? nope

worth carrying? i think its a personal preference. my deer at home seem to be unaffected by any calls(i rattle, grunt and use "the can" while in the big woods up north, ive had deer RUN to the call...

im not big into the new calls....the 3 i use seem to work well in the right circumstances for me....sometimes i carry them...sometimes i dont...always have the can and grunt tube with me...rattling antlers are somewhat of a pain to carry and sometimes i dont take them....

are they nessesary to kill a deer?? no way! if you dont want to carry extra gear or spend extra cash on something that MAY or MAY NOT work, dont buy them....
Old 07-16-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely calls can work….
Different calls work better at different times of the year. For me, regardless of call, it seems like they are more callable the closer it gets to the rut. For example, the roar, which you mentioned is an aggressive call, which is going to better during peak rut. Your more likely going to scare deer off if are going out early season and 'roaring' or doing heavy rattling at them...
I never head out into the woods without a rattle bag, grunt tube and doe/fawn bleat….
Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

i tryed a grunt and bleep can did nothing evemn scared off a few deer
they did look up but did not care much this was in oct mid nov and right during the rut
i planned to buy some newcalls this year
but not sure i will i had more deer on me when i was day dreaming and quite
Old 07-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I saw280 doe sightings in '06 and 46 buck sightings. WHY IN THE WORLD (IMO) would a buck go looking for a fight when there's this many does to service and no fight necessary?
This is EXACTLY why rattling doesn't work when the buck to doe ratio is out of whack. This is also why I never bring my rattling antlers in the woods when I'm huntingin Pa.