Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mouth calls wont work?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Default mouth calls wont work?

my mouth calls wont work any more. i washed them and put them in there case and then in the refrigerator. i can cluck, but cant yelp. do you think the reeds stuck together?
Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: mouth calls wont work?

Thats a good possibility. They should come unstuck if you wet the good...
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd buy new ones
Old 01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

it is a good possibility. mine always stick from year to year. one person told me to use a toothpick to keep them seperated. ya know what i do. i buy new ones
Old 01-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

ya know what i do. i buy new ones
Exactly!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm...why did you put in the fridge??? but sometimes my yelps get acting up when the laytex is stuck together...try and unstick them then try to call again...if they still don't work go on down to the local walmart and pick you up another call...they have them on the shelves now
Old 01-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

When they cost three or four dollars, I just buy new ones each year. It does sound like they are stuck together...
Old 01-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

I store mine in the fridge too. It does keep them better than leaving them out and having them change temps. They probably are stuck together. Just be very careful trying to unstick them so as you don't tear the latex. I usually try to keep my favorite ones from year to year. You know how you find that one that justs runs good and the turks seem to like the sound. What you need to do is next time after you are done using it slide flat toothpicks between the reeds and let it dry out before you put it in the fridge.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:17 PM

Sometimes if you have had them for a long time the latex wears out.
Im with the majority here...buy new ones!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

I'll tell you what sticks them togeather. Sugar If you are like me a good hunt is better with Cookies, Donuts, Coffee, that sugar get between those reeds and sticks them togeather. I have put them in my mouth before a got them wet/Soft and took my knife and Picked them apart. Spit in between the Reeds and Blow between them and have put Picese's of Toothpick, Cardboard, Little plastic Shims to let them dry.

When I first started hunting Penn Woods calls were my Fav. They were single reeds. I have used all kinds of calls now I use Quakerboys they made a single reed called the "Old Boss Hen" it was thick Reed and would not wear out very easy. They don't make it any more!

Ice Box is the best storage for call, the Heat is hard on the calls. I agree a NEW call is the way to go, However when you have had sucess with a call its hard not to want to use it one more year.

Spring Season makes my Blood Pump Hard..Nothing like Hearing that first Gobble.

TF

Quick Reply: mouth calls wont work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.