Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Give up my duck season for my dream buck? >

Give up my duck season for my dream buck?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Give up my duck season for my dream buck?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Give up my duck season for my dream buck?

Ok here is the situation, my father has about 3000 acres in Eastern CO where I do most of my hunting and when I was out there last weekend runing around looking for coyotes I saw a nice big buck in full velvet with two does. I am pretty sure that this is the same buck that I saw the year before that did not present an ethical shot and so he has gotten bigger, a lot bigger. You say, well what is the problem? I did not draw a tag this year (only every other year) and he seems to walk this same pattern all year long which is right around the pond that I duck and dove hunt (the deer use about 100-200 of the acres way way more than the rest). I am so thrilled to see that he is back this year and looking well fed that I am worried that I might pressure the area too much with my other hunting. What would you do, and how much pressure is too much? I am really torn here. Knowing my luck I would bag the duck season and my crappy weekend warrior neighbor would shoot him this year.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Give up my duck season for my dream buck?

Go after the Buck, and this is coming from a diehard Duckhunter!!! You can find somewhere else to hunt birds. CO. is a big state Goodluck!!!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get it. If you didn't draw a tag, how do you expect to kill him this year? Or is the case that you'll spook him to your neighbor?
Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

[align=left]i say duck hunting happens every year give up this season or find another place to hunt ducks this year i would rather take big deer than shoot a couple of ducks dont get me wrong i love duck hunting also but i could always find another place to hunt ducks. GO FOR THE BUCK MAN!!!
[/align][align=left] [/align]
Old 07-16-2008, 01:13 PM

I don't get it. If you didn't draw a tag, how do you expect to kill him this year? Or is the case that you'll spook him to your neighbor?
Yeah, I was fearing either spooking him to his death at my neighbors or worse yet putting too much pressure sending him to another area entirely. I think I will play it safe.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

go for the rack
Old 07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TG78

Yeah, I was fearing either spooking him to his death at my neighbors or worse yet putting too much pressure sending him to another area entirely. I think I will play it safe.
Yes, if you think he'll stay putfrom you not duck hunting, that's the way to go. He'll be that much bigger next season if he doesn't get whacked during the rut, when hewill probablybe on the move.[:@]
Old 07-16-2008, 01:35 PM

I have to say I ama little jealous of you who can get a liscense every year and sometimes more, but hey at least I saw him and maybe I can put some milk and cookies out for him on my place.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are two types of folks in this world..... duck hunters and everyone else.

If there was a 150" deer on my boat ramp..... I'd blow the horn to get him out of the way so he wouldn't make me late getting to the blind.

All depends where your priorities and passions are. I love bowhunting as much as the next person... but I will not give up other hunting opportunities just in able to kill a trophy buck. No way... no how.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I quit duck hunting....... its gets in the way of my deer hunts...... and its not on the same land. I for one would rather be big game hunting

Quick Reply: Give up my duck season for my dream buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.