Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...) >

How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Old 07-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How true is the saying "a bow kill is soo much...)

Todd never said he was superior either tsoc from what I read. I'm done speaking for Todd.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

I enjoy bowhunting more...plain and simple. I spend about 10X the number of days bowhunting each year than gunhunting.

But they're altogether different...at least where I hunt. The animals in bow season are undisturbed and fairly calm when in the woods. After the first couple of hours of gun season the animals are on the go and they are alert as hell. Rare is the shot with a gun on the calm unsuspecting deer where I hunt. Even on my own land, which is a fairly large area with a small number of hunters...the deer know when the gunshots start.
I agree.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems to me its a personal preference....I mean you can always get just as close with a rifle as with a bow if you want to....if thats your thing.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:29 PM

Had I hunted differently with a rifle, I'm sure I would have enjoyed it as much as I do arrowing an animal. However, I never tried to get closer than I had to -the majority of my shots were about 150 yards. I never once heard the deer before I saw it, I never anticipated the shot longer than it took to settle on target, click off my safety, and squeeze the trigger, nor did I ever get the shakes as bad as I still do when I release and arrow at an animal.

That being said, for me personally, I enjoy hunting with archery equipment quite a bit more than I did while hunting with a rifle. I work harder for each kill and appreciate it that much more becuse of it. To each his own.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy I wasn't responding to Todd's comments specifically,just expressing my opinion about the topic.I view this subject in a similar manner that I view "the location discussion".One size doesn't fit all.Very similar to Ryan I see 3 to 4 times the bucks in the archery season than I do in the rifle season in my home hunting area's because of pressure.I have had far more consistent success in killing bucks in the archery season than in the rifle season.To put that in to perspective I am far more successful in the archery season to getting within 35 yards of bucks that I have killed than getting within .270 range with my rifle during the gun season,so which hunting method is harder?
If we are simply talking about the act of discharging the weapon there is no question that archery requires far more practice and skill at the moment of truth although a tracker who jump shoots bucks with a rifle may be able to make an good argument that their shot is harder.
From a satisfaction point of view again for me it is related to the amount of effort put in,to the beauty of the hunt so to speak (what were the circumstances that had it come together)to the people involved (friends helping me get it out or me helping them)and yes the animal taken is he big,did I work hard to out smart him?
It's all good!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

As several have all ready mentioned, I certainly wouldn't say gun hunting is easier than bowhunting! 99% of my hunting may be with a bow but as mentioned, our extremely short gun season here makes getting a shot at ANY deer, let alone a trophy class buck, FAR more difficultwith a firearm than it is with a gun most of the time. I know my Muzzleloader deer seem everybit as much trophies as my bowkills. Personally I just love bow season because it does give me FAR more time to get out and enjoy hunting and allows me to view and look over far more deer than I ever would during our short, high pressured gun season.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

The best quote I've ever heard is from Greg/MO (who is an accomplished markman with the rifle and bow.....but an accredited 'I believe' rifle marksman)......

(forgive me if I paraphrase, but he said soemthing like.....)

"When I see the animal with the rifle in my hands.....the hunt is over. When I see the animal with the bow in my hand.....the hunt is only beginning."

I've always loved that.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

People always over simplify this topic. Yes if it came down to just shooting the weapon a firearm is easier to kill with. But I think we all know that it's not really that simple. I see 5 to 10x the number of deer during bow season than I do in gun season. More important than the weapon is the season.

Bow season equals fewer hunters/less pressure, more light, usually better food sources, and generally more patternable deer. All big advantages over gun season.

Gun season is almost the exact opposite mainly due to the significant spike in pressure. After the first week(probably the first day) the deer know what's up and they are on alert which greatly impacts their patterns.

I definitely prefer bow season simply because it is a great time to hunt relatively unpressured deer and late October thru early November is arguably the best time to be in the woods with any weapon. So I will gladly accept the minor limitations on shot range associated with archery gear in return for all of the advantages that the bow "season" offers.

All of that said I enjoy killing them with every weapon bow, bp, rifle, shotgun(buckshot or slugs), doesn't really matter much to me.

A good hunt is a good hunt.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 AM

Hunting is my passion, bow hunting is my specialty. To say once I kill an animal with a bow I would not shoot it with mygun is totally obsered!