Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck with jacked up leg >

Buck with jacked up leg

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck with jacked up leg

Old 07-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck with jacked up leg

I would take him in a minute
Old 07-14-2008, 08:03 AM

There was a special on the outdoors channel, believe it was "Big Bucks" show, they talked about the non typical state record from florida, and there was a whole story about why deer have weird antler growth. It is indeed a fact that rear leg injuries effect the opposite antler side, however the front leg is not always the same side. They (the experts) have not been able to pattern front leg injuries with which side it effects. It does tend to effect the same side, but this is not a rule for sure.

His injury to me doesnt look like a wound from a slug or a broadhead. I've seen both. The last picture does look like he has some injury tohis shoulder. I would lean towards injury from a vehicle is possible. Or snake bite like others said, but If I had to bet, I would say vehicle.

If there is a good chance he will be there next year....and he isnt handicapped to bad, I'd let him go till next year, he will be an even better trophy and may get some awesome non-typical growth. If his injury happend recently, the weird growth begins after the injury. So next year the strange growth would start right from the base.

Or shoot him and put him on the wall if you think he may not make it till next year. (dont know the hunting pressure or area)

Good luck either way thanks for sharing the pictures.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen that also. That's where I heard about if one of the front legs have an injury, it could show on either side of the rack during development.
That hunter from Florida was kinda creepy in the home video. "I got that Rascal!!!"
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd make him a mercy kill and then make him a mercy mount.

In the one picture where he is facing the camera it looks like the leg bend inward at an odd angle which to me says some sort of injury. The only way to know for sure is to take him and autopsy the leg.

Cool pics, thanks for sharing.