Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting in the rain. >

Hunting in the rain.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the rain.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting in the rain.

How many of you go hunting while it's raining? I like going hunting in the rain, but I wonder How do you track the deer after? Do you just take extra time to, make sure of your shot placement, take an extra breath, and estimate your yardage, so you are certain of getting a good shot so it goes down faster?

And another question do deer move more when it rains or do the find a nice cozy spot and lay down? Is it stupid to hunt in the rain?
Old 07-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in the rain.

I love hunting in a light drizzle. It seems I see a lot of deer movement on those days. I will wax my string right before I go out. I have found that if you let water soak your string it gets heavier and my bow shoots lower. I try to keep the water off my string.

I don't hunt in a hard rain. One reason being above. Too hard to keep things dry. Another is no blood trail. And I have enough other days that I can hunt to sit out there in a downpour.

Now I do like to hit the woods as soon as a good hard rain has stopped. The deer seem to move a lot then too. And you can sneak around the woods real quiet too.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:57 PM

I hunt in a light rain. I have also hunted in thunderstorms but prefer to hunt right after them as I usually don't see deer move a whole lot during heavy rains but they get up and stirring right after. I have always had good luck during light rains with seeing deer movement. I just do what I have to do to keep my bow dry.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I love hunting in a light drizzle. It seems I see a lot of deer movement on those days. I will wax my string right before I go out. I have found that if you let water soak your string it gets heavier and my bow shoots lower. I try to keep the water off my string.

I don't hunt in a hard rain. One reason being above. Too hard to keep things dry. Another is no blood trail. And I have enough other days that I can hunt to sit out there in a downpour.

Now I do like to hit the woods as soon as a good hard rain has stopped. The deer seem to move a lot then too. And you can sneak around the woods real quiet too.
My thoughts exactly Couldn't have said it any better! I have sat through some good rains while trying to wait it out, but have seen very little deer movement during moderate to heavy rain. Sprinkles and post down-poor can be awsome though.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks John, you saved me a lot of typing. My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt!!!!!! That has got to be my favorite time to go get in my stand, after a long hard rain, I am sitting in the camp waiting for it to let up a little and start petering out and I am headed to the stand on the stalk!!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind hunting in the rain, but when the lightning starts up I'm out of there. Nothing like lightning strikes when I sitting up in a tall tree.[8D]
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get to hunt as much as I would like so I make the best of every opportunity I get. If that means sitting all day in the rain then that's what I do. I just use my judgement if an opportunity arises. Heavy downpours are a no-no in my book. Light drizzle is OK. I personally find it peaceful to sit in the rain as long as I'm dry and comfortable.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

I enjoy hunting in the rain my first deer i ever shot with a bow was in an absolute down pour when i was 15 big doe come off the top of the ledge into the bottom were i was waitng lucky no track job i watched her fall over
Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

last year my greatest day of hunting(all day hunt) i seen more bucks than ever b4 on one day, it was overcast, 36 degrees and raining/freezing rain

Quick Reply: Hunting in the rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.