Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you have arrowed a mature buck WITHOUT

Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How many of you have arrowed a mature buck WITHOUT

...the use of bait, game cams, and/or food plots????? I am talking about just good old fashion scouting and hunting using experience and sense .......

I am curious, as I see so many people using the above tactics to give them an edge, if they have ever done it the old fashioned way .....

If you have done both, please tell me how much you believe your % has been upped because of said methods.

Disclaimer: This thread in no way is trying to reduce the accomplishments of folks that have and do use the above methods.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you have arrowed a mature buck WITHOUT

I have shot all my Bucks without any of the above. This year we are using cameras but they are on areas I know the deer move through so I do not feel the cameras are giving me an edge, just letting me know what is around.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have a couple withoutthe use of these (11 pt and 9 pt).

1) Can't use bait in GA so I don''t use
2) I use game cams now, but what I've found it does for me is help me pass on bucks when I know a bigger one is around!
3) I use food plots, but only occasionally and usually when my 7 year old sits with me so he can see more deer. Makes it fun for him!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ME.

Of course I'm not sure how mature they were but they had nice big horns.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a trail cam, but for entertainment purposes. I never put it near my stands anymore - I used to. That is not to say I wouldnt take advatage of information it gave me, but it hasnt happened yet. Baiting is illegal in IA, and Idont do food plots - I do utilise existing food sources which sometimes are very concentrated - and quantitatively the same thing.

Still, every mature buck I have been blessed with was not a result of bait, cams, or food plots. Thats not to say that will be true in the future, but for now I just enjoy old school hunting. That is true with a gun and a bow actually.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 AM

Yep. I did some leg work to find the ground, then used arials to determine possible stand locations. Granted, this spot happens to be particularly simple, but still......No food plots, no cams, nothing.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

No trail cams
Planted CRP

There is no differnce from a food plot and a corn field[8D]
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I am curious, as I see so many people using the above tactics to give them an edge
I use my cameras during the summer.....over a mineral site.....for "inventory" purposes, only.

The only "edge" this gives me is knowing what might be out there. I've shot both my 8 pointers in an area about 40yds apart. My camera's never been within 1/2 mile of there.

In '06.....my feeding site was 30yds from my mineral site. I don't supplemental feed, anymore.

Doesn't bother me how anyone's doing it (and I'm not inferring PT was "bothered", either).
Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Doesn't bother me how anyone's doing it (and I'm not inferring PT was "bothered", either).
and you are correct .... it doesn't bother me ...... in fact, I would love to be able to plant food plots and put up cameras ...... at least, I think I would love it ...
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken a couple of bucks the old fashioned way. I don't hunt over bait pile but I put them out to inventory deer. I might even use it to take a doe.The last 3 bucks I have taken I was within 100 yards of the food source ( food plot or bait pile).

Quick Reply: How many of you have arrowed a mature buck WITHOUT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.