Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Beware of this little creature >

Beware of this little creature

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beware of this little creature

Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Beware of this little creature

Has anyone hadan unfortunate encounter with a red velvet ant, aka Cow Killer,while hunting or scouting? If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's largered fuzzy looking ant, only it's not really an ant. It's actually a wingless wasp that looks like alarge ant.Warning: DO NOT PICK THIS CRITTER UP. I found out the hard way that this critter has a pretty potent sting. Even with gloves on,it nailed me pretty good. I'd seen them often in the woods and decided to take a closer look at it. Bad decision. I figured it coudn't bite me through my glove. Well it didn't. It stuck its half inch long stinger right through my glove. Believe me, their sting is worse than a normal wasp. Anybody ever been popped by one of these things? If your in the woods enough, you will encouter one.I know there are plenty of them downin the south, but are they up north also?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beware of this little creature

superstrutter, I had a run in with about 300 chiggers this past weekend.....I have chigger bites in places only chiggers themselves could think of hiding
Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I once got bitten by a dancing bug.. but it was at a wedding.

So I have no idea really what you are talking about.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

superstrutter, I had a run in with about 300 chiggers this past weekend.....I have chigger bites in places only chiggers themselves could think of hiding
lol isnt it great to have an itch by chiggers or a tick bitein that spot right during church or in front of your g/f lol i have had that happen many times unfortunately
Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steven, I have been itching so dang much that I have resorted to using creams only reserved for people that have a loaf of bread growing from between their legs!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice, real nice. I must be chigger resistant. I hardly everget them, even after working in the woods most of the day. Their hell to get rid of. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steven, I have been itching so dang much that I have resorted to using creams only reserved for people that have a loaf of bread growing from between their legs!
lol that sucks badly, luckily i have only been hit by chiggers a couple times this year
Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, we have them in southern Texas too and them bad boys are hard tokill too....They like to hang around the cattlepastures around where i'm from....They do have a bite to em'.....As for the chiggers I guess I am lucky, I have been with people that got eat up by them, they had to take baths in clorox or something like that. I never have gotten themeven whenI was with the guy that got them so bad all day long....
Old 07-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the north country we have the black velvet. It has a nasty bite!!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

In the north country we have the black velvet. It has a nasty bite!!

lol im sure it does have a nasty bite!

Quick Reply: Beware of this little creature

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.