Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 At what age do you take a chance? >

At what age do you take a chance?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

At what age do you take a chance?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default At what age do you take a chance?

So, I have this thought going through my head, and would like some feedback from those of you that let younger deer walk.

We have a new piece of property that borders some land that is NOT hunted (a few hundred acres). My sights have always been on 3.5 year old deer, or older. I am now considering letting the 3.5's go, because they have a much better chance of surviving with the large unhunted piece next to us. I would then (TRY TO) harvest the 4.5's and above.

If you were in my situation, what do you think you would do? One bad thing about the unhuntable land, is that we have to take LOTS of does to try and keep the herd somewhat close.

Serious responses only, please!

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: At what age do you take a chance?

The Hanson buck (if I'm not mistaken) was 3.5 yrs old.

If you'd pass him.....I'd say stick to your guns.

I'll shoot ANY 3.5yr old or older buck. I "might" shoot a younger buck if he gets my attention.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot only 4.5 year olds and older but, my land has a huge cliff running along one side that a deer cant climb and the other land bordering us does not have hunters, if i were in your situation, i would prolly go ahead and whack the 3.5
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM

I would try it. If, after a couple years, you don't like it, you can always go back to the old ways. The thing is, if you never try it, how will you ever know if you have been missing anything? At least at that point you can speak from experience and know whether that type of hunting is for you or not. For some it is, for some it isn't, and you won't know which you are if you don't try. Just my .02
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Jeff.

My thinking is that at 3.5, they are not at their full potential, deer wise. When I hunt for deer, I am looking at one thing, maturity. I am leaning towards the 4.5, but am not sure.

In the end, I will make my own decision. Just looking for different perspectives to enhance my decision!

Party on.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 PM

It is really up to you man. If 3.5s arent doing it for ya anymore, hold out for the real mature deer 4.5+. If 3.5 still gets you worked up and you are real proud of em, I see no reason to change. It is really just up to you though.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:17 PM

Scout heavily this summer, glass the fields, or put up cameras to see if any real big boys R there. That may let u know average age & size. Since it's new property, may take a yr or 2 to figure out who's there.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

How many 4 1/2s do you see per season? If you see at least 1 per season and think you'll have a 50/50 chance at it and that sits well with you, go for it.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have a similar circumstance. I was letting many good bucks go and had two different sets of bucks get locked up and die 2 years ago. All were 4 1/2 or older. My theory is that there were so many older dominant bucks present that they were fighting like crazy all the time. Any one of them would have looked nicer on my wall at 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 than finding them dead locked up. If you have several bucks in the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2age catagory, maybe pick one or two out that have the least potential and put them on your "hit list". Let the bucks walk that you would really like to see hit the magical 5 1/2 to 7 1/2 yr age class.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys.

Greg, that is kinda where I am at. Not having hunted this place much at all, I SUSPECT that 4s and 5s would be there. I have talked to the outfitter who leased it last year, and he took 2 bucks, they were SAID to be 6.5 and 7.5.

I do think it might be best to take a wait and see approach?

I don't want to shoot 3.5s if I see then with any kind of regularity (say 10 a season). The trail camera is in the works, but I am really scared to get one that has a flash, as I don't want to spook anything.

My ultimate goal is to shoot the "slammer" of the woods. The deer that is old, huge, and full of smartness. (isn't everyones?)

Quick Reply: At what age do you take a chance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.