Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 At what age do you take a chance? >

At what age do you take a chance?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

At what age do you take a chance?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: At what age do you take a chance?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

EI...I'm not a mature buck hunter (I've never claimed otherwise). I'm an opportunist.

In my area....it's likely going to take a buck of 3.5yrs or older to top what I've already taken (inches of antler). Thats why I state I'm "likely" holding out for that age class deer.

But rest assured.....if a 110" (or greater)2.5 yr old comes by my stand....I'm gonna try to kill him.

When you hunt the woods I do....and have over 600 deer sightings in 2.5yrs........seeing only TWO animals from stand that were 3.5yrs (or older).....you see why I take this approach.

I've been fortunate enough to kill every one I've ever seen.
Jeff 600 hundred deer sightings and only 2 over 3.5 years old? Therein lies the problem,if you don't have mature deer on our property you can't hunt them.So if you wanted to kill bigger deer you would have to let them walk and see what they may turn into.I'm not saying this is what you should do, just pointing out to others that hunting is different depending on where ou hunt.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hanson buck (if I'm not mistaken) was 3.5 yrs old.

If you'd pass him.....I'd say stick to your guns.

I'll shoot ANY 3.5yr old or older buck. I "might" shoot a younger buck if he gets my attention.

Good luck with your choice.
Thats kinda how I roll. Only I prefer to only take mature deer (4.5+)... but I may shoot a 3.5 year old buck if he gets my attention.... couldn't have said it better!

In general.... hunt for you.... if you are happy of the buck you take.... then shoot that joker! From a biology standpoint, yes I think a 3.5 year old deer has a better chance of surviving a rut/winter than a 4.5 year old.... but from a hunting standpoint you stand a better chance harvesting a 3.5 year old deer than a 4.5 year old.... they don't get old by being dumb, and they don't get any dumber as they get older. I haven't shot a buck in over a decade now because I'm just too damn picky, and thats fine, but I've never shot anything that I've had to make an excuse for either.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

The Hanson buck (if I'm not mistaken) was 3.5 yrs old.

If you'd pass him.....I'd say stick to your guns.

I'll shoot ANY 3.5yr old or older buck. I "might" shoot a younger buck if he gets my attention.

Good luck with your choice.
Thats kinda how I roll. Only I prefer to only take mature deer (4.5+)... but I may shoot a 3.5 year old buck if he gets my attention.... couldn't have said it better!

In general.... hunt for you.... if you are happy of the buck you take.... then shoot that joker! From a biology standpoint, yes I think a 3.5 year old deer has a better chance of surviving a rut/winter than a 4.5 year old.... but from a hunting standpoint you stand a better chance harvesting a 3.5 year old deer than a 4.5 year old.... they don't get old by being dumb, and they don't get any dumber as they get older. I haven't shot a buck in over a decade now because I'm just too damn picky, and thats fine, but I've never shot anything that I've had to make an excuse for either.
I guess that's pretty much the same way I think. If he's big enough you would shoot him even if the Birth Certificate said 3.5

Does that mean you shoot a 4.5 even if he's a Dink? That's where I might differ but then I do have trouble reading the Birth certificateI rarely see Bucks aged anything but 1.5, 2.5, & 3.5 at the Slug check in station. I couldn't agree with all the ages even though some are pretty evident.

Dan
Old 06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

If it taste like deer meat, its not safe around me until the freezer is full (even a yearling). After that, I'm looking for a buck that is larger than my last and won't shoot otherwise. Age doesn't matter to me, I'm just looking to beat my previous best.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I guess that's pretty much the same way I think. If he's big enough you would shoot him even if the Birth Certificate said 3.5

Does that mean you shoot a 4.5 even if he's a Dink? That's where I might differ but then I do have trouble reading the Birth certificateI rarely see Bucks aged anything but 1.5, 2.5, & 3.5 at the Slug check in station. I couldn't agree with all the ages even though some are pretty evident.

Dan
No, not me. I care less about the age of a buck (3.5 vs older) so long as he is a good buck and I'd be proud to have him. I've seen some pretty good deer that I knew were 2.5 that I let go. Pretty good ain't good enough. I'm picky about bucks.... thats why I shoot does and eat buck tag soup with my salad before having doe fawn backstrap for supper.

Now all this ofcoursedepends on what your definition of a dink is. I've seen some of those TV boys let "dink" 150" deer go because they are holding out for something over 170". Good for them.... but you'd have to help me drag out my "dink".

Here is a 3.5 year old I'd shoot.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: fletch920

ORIGINAL: davidmil

In response to davidmil, I quite often know exactly how old the deer I see are. I have trail cam pics from year to year, shed antlers, etc. Also, in the midwest (and probably most places)it is pretty easy to tell a deers age by his body and antler mass up until about 4. We routinely send in a tooth for cross section and are seldom wrong.Also, I have several mature bucks that will share the same thousand to twelve hundred acre area. I will agree that the younger animals move off, but that is more for genetic purposes than rutting territory. And they move off long before they start to become mature with trophy potential. The 3 1/2 yr and older deeryou pass now are very likely to stay put. My young bucks (1 1/2 yr olds) move off and I get others moving in. Mature bucks will roam outside their main territory during peak rut, but that is for such a short time that it is worth the risk of letting them walk to me. It sounds like ICALL2MUCH will be in a very similar situation. I would agree that if you are hunting public ground with lots of pressure or a new piece of property it would be a much more difficult task.
That's why I said 90 percent of the people would be wrong. I left room for dillusional people to be right. LOL

What a strange response. How does someone being right or posessing certain skills make them dillusional? That would suggest that you dont believe me? Does the LOL at the endnegate the backhanded insult??
Stop being so defensive. I was saying you're probably one of the 10 percent that can come close... that's why I said 90 percent were wrong and not 100. No back handed slap. If I want to hit you it'll be up front with a full fist to the beak. ..... and... here's another LOL
Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

You called me dillusional because I know how old many of my deer are. I just dont see that as any type of compliment. Nor do I see the relevance to this post. It was in poor taste and judgement. You do know what dillusional means?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan
No, not me. I care less about the age of a buck (3.5 vs older) so long as he is a good buck and I'd be proud to have him. I've seen some pretty good deer that I knew were 2.5 that I let go. Pretty good ain't good enough. I'm picky about bucks.... thats why I shoot does and eat buck tag soup with my salad before having doe fawn backstrap for supper.

Now all this ofcoursedepends on what your definition of a dink is. I've seen some of those TV boys let "dink" 150" deer go because they are holding out for something over 170". Good for them.... but you'd have to help me drag out my "dink".

Here is a 3.5 year old I'd shoot.

I'm with you all the way Swamp. I'm not passing up 150" Buckeven if someone tells me it's 1.5 year old

I have a freezer full of Does, well it was a few short months ago.

Dan
Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Dominant Buck

You called me dillusional because I know how old many of my deer are. I just dont see that as any type of compliment. Nor do I see the relevance to this post. It was in poor taste and judgement. You do know what dillusional means?
No I didn't. Read my post. Where did I call you dillusional? I don't even use the word, usually. You're reading a lot into something that is not there. Heck, maybe you are dillusional. You're looking at general statements and taking it personal. Take a breath. In with the good air.... out with the bad.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Ha. You state that 90% are always wrong and the other 10% are dillusional, then tell me I am probably in the 10%. Then respond again by telling me maybe I am dillusional again. Wow, man up when you get caught. I'm simply telling you I didnt appreciate the remark and youcant seem to step up.