Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you feel your 3d animal target helps you prepare? >

Do you feel your 3d animal target helps you prepare?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you feel your 3d animal target helps you prepare?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Do you feel your 3d animal target helps you prepare?

I have started shooting alot again and currently use a reinhart cube and a morrells outdoor target for practice but on a recent gathering one of the guys that is going with me on an upcoming hog trip said we NEED to get a hog target. Now I don't mind blowing money where it is needed or even spending a little that I don't have[>:]but do you who own them think that they really made the difference in your practice and preperation.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you feel your 3d animal target helps you prepare?

I bought a 3d target 6 or so years ago and it made a world of difference for me. I absolutely believe that it has made me a better "hunting shooter". Just getting used to aiming at a realistic representation with no dot on it is a big positive IMO.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty hardcore in my practice, and shooting and even 3d competition:
All a 3D target is is a bullseye with a different shaped hunk of foam around it.........

It's nice to have a 3D deer to help with shot placement and picking a spot especially with treestand practice, but obviously not a neccessity. Seems a bit more practical if that's the bulk of your hunting.

But aHog target just for hog hunt seems a bit silly to me.........sorry.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO shooting at a 3D target is great for helping people who have a problem with picking a spot. I know many friend who shoot great when shoot at a target, but have trouble locating that spot to shoot on a deer. After so many shots, it just become nature, you pin just finds that spot, no thinking about it. It is not a cure all, I still know some guys that are great shots on a 3D target, but are just terrible placing a shot on real deer. I believe that is because they get too excite, buck fever if you will, and just loose their head and don't concentrate on their shot placement.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, and no.

Yes because you can learn shot placement better, from all angles. The arrow stays in the target, and if you look at it before you pull it out, you can see if you are picking a good spot from whatever angle you are shooting from.

Yes, when they are new, for being able to shoot without a defined spot. This is HUGE. Many people, when they start, aim at the deer/hog/elk/whatever, they don't aim at a small spot, they don't pick a spot, they may even shoot for center mass (gut shot). I had this problem when I started, not picking a spot.

No, once they are shot up a bit. After a bunch of shooting you now have an animal target with a defined bullseye on it! The target hasa distinctive spot to shoot at. This defeats the "pick a spot" advantage you have when its new.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

For me i can actually tune out everything around me and convince myself that i am looking a live deer through my sight. I can actually even get my heart beating faster. This has really helped me for when it comes down to crunch time.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM

interesting, now if they just made one that tasted good...hmmm
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh absolutly!! I feel this does indeed help prepare one self for real world shot on quarry. It forces you to play with angles, and its a good way to teach newbys about shot placement. The 3d is great stuff
Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my practice is with a 3D deer. I don't shoot at a bullseye when I'm hunting, so I have to practice to make sure I know where to shoot on a deer.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I have both deer and hog 3d targets. I use them especially when I am training someone new to hog killing where to shoot. The new guys never seem to aim far enough and low enough to the front and it helps them see the asngle they need to actually kill the pig. Well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Do you feel your 3d animal target helps you prepare?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.