Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS >

Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS

Old 06-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Off subject-PLEASE WEAR HELMETS YOU MOTORCYCLE RIDERS

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Also, if you ride a motorcyle make damn sure your insurance protects you against uninsured motorists and underinsured motorists. They say as many as 20% of all drivers on the road are uninsured, and in urban areas its much higher. With todays economy, that number is probably growing every day.

My dad is going to lose his job, his leg, and probably his house from his motorcycle accident last March. Since the worthless POS crackhead who hit him had NO INSURANCE or assets to sue for, and his motorcycle insurance didn't protect him against uninsured drivers, he's S-O-L. Nothing but Social Security disability for him for the rest of his life.

But, his helmet saved his life. Just like it did the other two crashes he had.

I'm not some whiny liberal democrat who wants the goverment to make every decision for me. HOWEVER, I'm glad Michigan has a helmet law because its saved my dad's life three times now. No way would he wear a helmet if it wasn't required by law. That's one law I'm grateful for. Without that lawI would have lost my Dad when I was 7 years old - the first time he crashed.
in my prayers 2, but i have one question, wouldnt your dad had thought that him and ridin mototrcycles dont mix after the second crash?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Also, if you ride a motorcyle make damn sure your insurance protects you against uninsured motorists and underinsured motorists. They say as many as 20% of all drivers on the road are uninsured, and in urban areas its much higher. With todays economy, that number is probably growing every day.

My dad is going to lose his job, his leg, and probably his house from his motorcycle accident last March. Since the worthless POS crackhead who hit him had NO INSURANCE or assets to sue for, and his motorcycle insurance didn't protect him against uninsured drivers, he's S-O-L. Nothing but Social Security disability for him for the rest of his life.

But, his helmet saved his life. Just like it did the other two crashes he had.

I'm not some whiny liberal democrat who wants the goverment to make every decision for me. HOWEVER, I'm glad Michigan has a helmet law because its saved my dad's life three times now. No way would he wear a helmet if it wasn't required by law. That's one law I'm grateful for. Without that lawI would have lost my Dad when I was 7 years old - the first time he crashed.
in my prayers 2, but i have one question, wouldnt your dad had thought that him and ridin mototrcycles dont mix after the second crash?
It's in his blood! He'll never stop. He's already planning on getting a hand shifting Harley so that he can keep riding after his leg amputation.

He grew up ice racing in the 60's and 70's. His first bad crash was in 1987, then he didn't crash again until October of 2006 - two weeks before our trip to Pike County Illinois! He hunted that week with broken ribs and a broken arm. A car crashed into an orange construction barrel and the barrel flew into his front tire and down he went. Bad luck - not his fault.

Then, in March 07 - the first time on the bike after the 06 crash, this chick pulls out in front of him when he's going 60 mph on his way to work at 5am. Again not his fault. Just terrible luck.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

should however be your right not to wear a helment when you ride, and to not wear a seatbelt in your car if over the age of 18.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I've never been one to wear a Helmet. I just enjoy the ride and the fresh air. I could tell you a story about once I had a helmet on going down the Freeway and it almost cost me, but think Bumble Bee and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Lost a good friend in an accident. His Helmet didn't save him. It's not the 1st friend I've lost to a motorcycle crash. It's not so much what we as riders do but what those just ahead of us do/don't do that causes most of the problems.

Reading someone's mind has saved my Arse more than once.

Dan

This is so true...Being able to see what others are going toBEFORE they do it and being able tocorrectly respond area MUST.

This is also why we should always ride 100% completely sober...So our reaction times aren't compromised...

My Fiance' just boughta Sportster this weekend. Ohio state law requires permitted ridersto wear a helmet until they get their endorsement...With that being said...Ibought her a new helmet tonight and I (who hasn't worn a helmet in all my years of riding) too am buying myself a helmet...This way she doesn't look too much different than me when she's riding next to me and well, the more I think about it the more I'd like to possibly save my own life for our future together and of coursefor my children andgrandchildrens sake...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

One of my best friends just hit a rider but luckily he was wearing a helmet and he made it. Weird this post came up because i bought a pit bike today
Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice post, BowTech_Shooter

First time I've had a chance to check back in after being gone all day (with a trip thrown in to the local sno-cone stand with my boy on the back of my bike ). Some very good discussion here: For the record, even though I mentioned on the first page that I will always wear a helmet (and anyone with me on my bike), I'm still of the opinion the government should be in existance for two things: protect our borders and deliver our mail.... so I guess that let's you know where I stand on the "law" issue.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Now I ride a motorcycle and do wear a helmet most of time. Usually if I am running down to store, I will not, but most of the time I do. When I go on longer rides, it is always on my head.

Guess what kills me is a guy that I know who rides a road bike (bicycle that is) and has all the "Tour de France" gear..INCLUDING the helmet...but on the Honda, he does not
Old 06-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

John Stossel did a study on helmet vs no helment....for bicycles....

same injury rate.....people feel safer with a helment and tend to go for it, so injuries increase whereas those same riders without a helment are safer/more worrysome and take less risks....

Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: elkhuntinut

Now I ride a motorcycle and do wear a helmet most of time. Usually if I am running down to store, I will not, but most of the time I do. When I go on longer rides, it is always on my head.

Guess what kills me is a guy that I know who rides a road bike (bicycle that is) and has all the "Tour de France" gear..INCLUDING the helmet...but on the Honda, he does not

I've beenkind of the same way...
I don't wear a helmet when I ride my Harley on the highway at speeds up to 70 mph but I ALWAYS wear one when I trailride on my 4 wheeler at speeds around 20-25 mph...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]