Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What stage of deer hunter are you? >

What stage of deer hunter are you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What stage of deer hunter are you?

Old 02-28-2003, 06:18 PM

Default What stage of deer hunter are you?

From Robert Wegner:

1.) The shooter stage.

2.) The limiting out stage.

3.) The trophey stage.

4.) The methods stage, a stage characterized by great intensity. The hunter is obsessed with methodology, equipment. Hunting at this stage becomes the most important dimension of this person' s life. " It' s what they do best, and they live for the opportunity to practice their expertise."

5.) The mellowing out stage...Harvesting whitetails now seems more symbolic than essential to the actual process of hunting. At this stage our knowledge and appreciation for all aspects of wildlife management and the environmental system which we share with all wildlife makes us as much a philosopher as a hunter...

Whatever you do, don' t skip any stages.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What stage of deer hunter are you?

Humm it would seem to me the Method stage would come before the trophy stage, as it seems it takes more intensity, and serious practice to bag Trophies consistantly!
Old 03-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I think I am in " over the hill stage" I missed one this year.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:59 PM

I guess I would be in the shooter stage. I am a meat hunter first.......if it has antlers they go on a plaque with a picture and date on the wall but if they don' t I really couldn' t care less. The large doe I took this year looks the same in my freezer as the 2 bucks mixed in with her.

I don' t let deer walk unless I don' t have a tag for them or they are first year youngsters.

I am far from the best hunter out there but when the chips are down I usually don' t miss.

The only thing that keeps me from shooting is if I don' t see anything so I guess I would consider myself a shooter........pretty darn good one at that.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

It would seem I am in 3, 4 &5. Trophy hunting is one reason why I do (Stages 4 & 5), so that puts me in stage 3 to begin with. I am consumed by this sport, I practice and hone my skills at every opportunity. Always looking at new advancements in equipment and how they may help me in my pursuit. Ways to better my practice to help acheive the most out of my time in the woods. Strieve for knowledge on deer movements, techniques, etc(Stage 4). I now think a lot about management and how my desicions impact the resource. I tend to share my management thoughts, ideals at every opportunity. Harvesting game seems to be very symbolic to me, but not essential for full enjoyment of the sport. Passing on the traditions of this sports is a very high priority.(stage 5)

I think that most people no matter what harvest stage they are in (1, 2 or 3), the 4th and 5th stages are very much part of the mix. It would seem most hunters today strieve for info, live for the sport, believe in management & resource protection. Not to mention the passing on of the tradition.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:17 PM

I' d have to go with #4
Old 03-01-2003, 10:45 PM

i guess im in the shooter stage, i go for meat first, like atlasman said, it all looks the same in the freezer weather a doe, young buck , or a huge buck. besides all deer are trophies in my book.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, I' m in all of them. I think this list of stages was made up by an unsuccessful hunter. You know, someone who had hunted for years but never got anything. I' ve really never quite agreed with this premise. I hunt with one ultimate goal.... TWACK. Everything else about the hunt is fun, enjoyable and a real hoot, but somewhere in the equation you have to loose and arrow. I' ll quit shooting somewhere along the way in a year and say, nah. But really it' s more of a real hunt if you go with the intentions, " I' m going to do everything I can today to shoot a big deer.....etc etc" . If I approach it with that mindset and don' t do it... so I' ll try tomorrow. No way do I strive to become a philosopher. YUK. YUP, it was a theory crafted by an unsuccessful hunter.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-02-2003, 12:04 AM

I would have to say I am in the 4 and 5 stage. I will take a doe, especially if the freezer is empty, and I let the small bucks pass. I just love to hunt and enjoy all the preparation it takes to get ready for the hunt. In the past few years I have actually done more shooting with a camcorder than with a bow or rifle.

Quick Reply: What stage of deer hunter are you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.