Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 any hunt small game with bow? >

any hunt small game with bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

any hunt small game with bow?

Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Default any hunt small game with bow?

i was recently at bass pro and i noticed they had small game broadheads. i have never seen anything like it before and i wondered if anyone here hunted small game with a bow?
Old 06-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: any hunt small game with bow?

I have killed alot of small game with a bow, ie rabbits squirrels ect. However I dont just hunt these with the bow. I have killed lots and lots of birds, a snake, even shot some chickens when I was younger.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 PM

that has to take some serious skill and some money. i imagine you would loose and breal a lot of arrows. im sure it would prep you will for deer season though
Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't lose many arrows if you use big rubber blunts, like Bludgeons, and large, bright, gaudy fletchings. If you're secure in enough in your manhood to use it, flourescent pink fletch makes it really easy to spot an arrow amongst the weeds and briars. For anything larger than cottontails and squirrels, like raccoons and such, I think it's best to go with broadheads backed up with Scorpios. That's these things:

I always use Snaro points on fluflus for mourning dove and quail.

You do break arrows, but not to the point it'll drive you to the poor house... just as long as you hit the critter instead of the rock behind it.

Of course, nearly all my small game hunting has been done with recurves and longbows instead of compounds. But you're right, hunting small game does get you sharpened up for deer season.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:38 PM

yeah i might have to try this out.
you hunt quail???????????? with a bow???????????????????
Old 06-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take the longbow out for squirrels on occassion.I have a box of wooden arrows That I used to use and glueon .38 spec cases for the tips--puts a good thump on 'em
Old 06-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

you hunt quail???????????? with a bow???????????????????
Using stickbows of course. Compounds just aren't made for aerial shooting. It's not like I'd go out specifically to hunt quail with a bow but stuff happens. When I'm rabbit hunting, I've always got a bird arrow in my quiver for if I spot a covey. Same way I keep a couple of broadheads with me for anything bigger. Quail jump up quick but every once in awhile you get one that'll fly straight away from you, and they aren't as fast as an arrow.

Now, keep in mind I ain't sayin' I ever limited out with a bow, but I've had my share of tasty lunches. A couple of fresh roast quail over a campfire will make you throw rocks at a bologna sandwich.

I also spoke of mourning dove. Definitely no pass shooting on those wicked things. Heck, they can dodge a wad of shotgun pellets, so an arrow is no challenge. I'd never ground shoot a dove with a shotgun but that's an advantage I'll take with a bow. I watch where they land and sneak up on 'em. If I don't bust 'em on the ground, then I shoot just as they're coming up. Once they're in the air and going again, they're gone.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Heck yes!! Its allot of fun.

Here is some of the small game I've shot with a recurve-

Rabbits
Squirrels
Chipmunks
Fish
Porcupine
Pheasants
Small birds (Sparrow)
Woodchucks
Grouse
Gophers
Raccoons

Old 06-20-2008, 03:40 PM

thAT IS AN IMPRESSIVE LIST GAME YOU GOT WITH YOUR RECURVE
YEAH I MISS DOVES SHOOTING WITH A SHOTGUN
Old 06-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

They were on the ground but I once killed two doves with one shot using a snaro head.

Quick Reply: any hunt small game with bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.