Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you take this shot? >

Do you take this shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you take this shot?

Old 06-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you take this shot?

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close.
Never!!!!!!!

Right on BHF! Bow hunting is up and close hunting, not a shooting sport!!
Steve, No offense bro, but tell Chuck Adams that or Phil Phillips.

What Bowhunting is to one does not mean that's what is to all. There are areas I have hunted if you are not willing/able to shoot at least 40 yards then you might as well stay home. I am a Bowhunter exclusively. I never havegun hunted for big game.

My 2 biggest Trophies were taken at 84 yards and 3 yards respectively.

I was not flinging the arrow when I took the 84 yard shot at my Elk. I had shot out to 90 yards everyday in preparation for that hunt on advice of the outfitter.

The Elk ran only 60+ yards. I wouldn't take that shot today, but more because my eyes are not assharp as they used to bethan for any other reason.

The thing you have to realize is there are right and wrong times to take a 20 yard shot, but if you are capable there are also right and wrong times to take a 50 yard shot. Last year I passed up an 8 yard shot at a real bruiser Whitetail because the percentages for success were not good.

I have shot close to 30 animals at ranges of at least 40 yards or more,and I have yet to see one react to the shot at those distances.

Dan
Old 06-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I have killed Elk and Deer with a bow at 80+ yards, but I would never just fling an arrow by aiming high and hoping I got lucky.

Being prepared for a certain shot and being able to make it is an entirely different thing than flinging an arrow and hoping for Luck.

That said I pretty much impose a 50 yard limit on myself anymore. The eyes are not what they used to be

Dan
ummm why not just use a gun if youre going to shoot that far?
Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Justin

You saved up your money fora "once in a lifetime" trip to somewhere that you've always wanted to hunt. A place where the bucks are bigger and the hunters are fewer then they are back home. Your dreams have been consumed with visions of frost covered mornings and swollen-neck giants chasing does. The time has arrived and this is it, you're going to come home with a new trophy for the wall.

On the last morning of your hunt you still haven't put your tag on that buck you've always dreamed of. You've seen some good bucks and had a few encounters with smaller bucks, maybe even shot a doe or two but your vision of that big rack sticking up over your pickup bed are slowly fading. Then out of nowhere appears a giant buck. We're talking 170" plus. Possible the largest deer that you've ever seen on the hoof while hunting. He's 100 yards and closing. You get ready for the shot, but he never comes closer than 70 yards. You grunt, bleat, snort-wheeze, growl, rattle, and pray but he wont' come any closer. A hot doe has his attention now and you're done for.

The terrain in front of you is as wide open as open can be. There's not a limb between you and this deer for 100 yards on either side. He's standing still - hasn't moved a muscle other than his ears in what seems like an eternity. You've practiced out to 50 yards just because you had an extra pin and know you can hit a pie plate 7 out of 10 times - but he's at 70 yards. The wind is calm and he's not spooked.

Do you sit back and smile that this magnificant animal will live to see another day? Or is a smile and a memory not good enough for you? Do you aim high and let one fly? Hoping that you catch a break and fulfill your dreams.
Have you been taking posting lessons from GMMAT????

I'll wait, it's still daylight and there's time for the Gods to make it right and send him my way.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

No way!..I know Ted would..
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Let me think about this for a minute........ Nope still wouldnt.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd put that 50 yard pin about a couple ofinchiesor so above it's back and pray for all it's worth.
Yea ... I would take the shot , at least I would be able to say that I tried to hit him if I missed.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never!!!!!!!

What Bowhunting is to one does not mean that's what is to all. There are areas I have hunted if you are not willing/able to shoot at least 40 yards then you might as well stay home. I am a Bowhunter exclusively. I never have gun hunted for big game.

I was not flinging the arrow when I took the 84 yard shot at my Elk. I had shot out to 90 yards everyday in preparation for that hunt on advice of the outfitter.

The Elk ran only 60+ yards. I wouldn't take that shot today, but more because my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be than for any other reason.

The thing you have to realize is there are right and wrong times to take a 20 yard shot, but if you are capable there are also right and wrong times to take a 50 yard shot. Last year I passed up an 8 yard shot at a real bruiser Whitetail because the percentages for success were not good.

I have shot close to 30 animals at ranges of at least 40 yards or more, and I have yet to see one react to the shot at those distances.

Dan

No offense here Dan, but you know as well as I do that an elk is not a deer.... at least not in a target sense... you've got a whole lot more target in an elk than you do even a very large whitetail. Plus, as you mentioned, you were ready for an extended range shot. And no doubt in the type of terrain you were in, (likely very open) getting to within 80 yards (and for a flatlander like me getting UP to where the terrain is open) is a feat worth mention in itself. But comparing a long shot on elk and a long shot on a whitetail is like the difference between hitting the green from the tee and a hole in one.

The whole point of the initial post is really not "would you take a 70 yard shot" but more "would you take a shot that you know is further than you ought to be taking in the given situation." For you I suppose the range should have been 125 The example you gave about passing on the deer at 8 yards plays to the heart of the whole matter.... abilities and circumstances are looked at subjectively... and its up to us the hunters to make the call when the time comes whether we can make an ethical shot or not.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well this scenerio could never happen to me as I shoot regularlyto70 yards and even as far as100 yards in practice so by the "rules" of the post I can't comment. [8D]

But as was mentioned before there are days when a 20 yard shot is pushing the boundries due to conditions or even mental preparedness..so nothings a given.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never!!!!!!!

What Bowhunting is to one does not mean that's what is to all. There are areas I have hunted if you are not willing/able to shoot at least 40 yards then you might as well stay home. I am a Bowhunter exclusively. I never havegun hunted for big game.

The Elk ran only 60+ yards. I wouldn't take that shot today, but more because my eyes are not assharp as they used to bethan for any other reason.

I have shot close to 30 animals at ranges of at least 40 yards or more,and I have yet to see one react to the shot at those distances.

Dan
I'd love to tell them that Dan! The areas you reffered to that if your not shooting 40+ yards you'd better stay home. People say that but believe me it can be done and has been done. I have not scored yet out west or down south but the group of bow hunters I hunt with sure have. The group I hunt with have been told this many times what you just said when we go elk hunting, Pronghorn hunting, Couse' Deer hunting, Muley hunting you name it. They tell us your nuts bringing your Traditional bows. My dad, my cousin and 2 different friends of the family all have been successful at getting all 4 animals I just listed with either recurves or longbows with the longest shot being 20 yards. To top it off they've all 4 done it a good number of times, some more then others. 6 of these animals are P&Y. Its tough hunting but don't tell me it can't be done!!

No offense Dan!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Give me a LITTLE credit, David.

"I" would have AT LEAST given you a 60 yd pin

Only man that can answer this question is the man with the shot opportunity (or lack thereof) in front of him.

If you can make that shot.....and you know you can.....ROCK ON!

Quick Reply: Do you take this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.