HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do you take this shot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/249917-do-you-take-shot.html)

Justin 06-19-2008 03:26 PM

Do you take this shot?

You saved up your money fora "once in a lifetime" trip to somewhere that you've always wanted to hunt. A place where the bucks are bigger and the hunters are fewer then they are back home. Your dreams have been consumed with visions of frost covered mornings and swollen-neck giants chasing does. The time has arrived and this is it, you're going to come home with a new trophy for the wall.

On the last morning of your hunt you still haven't put your tag on that buck you've always dreamed of. You've seen some good bucks and had a few encounters with smaller bucks, maybe even shot a doe or two but your vision of that big rack sticking up over your pickup bed are slowly fading. Then out of nowhere appears a giant buck. We're talking 170" plus. Possible the largest deer that you've ever seen on the hoof while hunting. He's 100 yards and closing. You get ready for the shot, but he never comes closer than 70 yards. You grunt, bleat, snort-wheeze, growl, rattle, and pray but he wont' come any closer. A hot doe has his attention now and you're done for.

The terrain in front of you is as wide open as open can be. There's not a limb between you and this deer for 100 yards on either side. He's standing still - hasn't moved a muscle other than his ears in what seems like an eternity. You've practiced out to 50 yards just because you had an extra pin and know you can hit a pie plate 7 out of 10 times - but he's at 70 yards. The wind is calm and he's not spooked.

Do you sit back and smile that this magnificant animal will live to see another day? Or is a smile and a memory not good enough for you? Do you aim high and let one fly? Hoping that you catch a break and fulfill your dreams.

rybohunter 06-19-2008 03:29 PM

RE: Do you take this shot?

I haven't even picked my bow up yet. [8D]
Ok so maybe I have, but the thought of taking a shot never enters my mind.

millerhunter13 06-19-2008 03:33 PM

I would climb down and crawl to him, if i cant get a shot doing that atleast i tried, it was better then sitting in the tree and just not doing anything.

racewayking 06-19-2008 03:40 PM

Nope, I did this at 60 yards after only owning my first bow for two weeks. My shot was short and way right so I had no chance. After telling a few people and then realizing how stupid I was I vowed to never shoot farther than I can ethically shoot.

BowHuntingFool 06-19-2008 03:43 PM

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close. Ill save that shot for my Flintlock!:)

mobow 06-19-2008 03:46 PM

In the exact scenario you write about, no. I don't take the shot. If I've practiced @ 50 yards, and can hit a pie plate 7 out of 10 times......No. Assuming 50 is the farthest I've practiced.

Actual hunting scenario? I'm sure gonna think about it, there's no question of that. I can make that shot, and I'm confident I can kill that deer cleanly....But I can't honestly say whether I shoot or not.

DannyD 06-19-2008 03:52 PM

The farthest i can practice out to is 50 at my home which i do quite often. I have no idea how high i would have to hold over at 70 yards.

peakrut 06-19-2008 03:58 PM

To far for me and plus I have a 168 so I missed this by 2".:)
The only place I would like to hunt again would be Colorado. JZ I think personally I have everything I need here in Wisconsin.
Actually Canada would also be cool to go and try once in my lifetime.

T

il coyote 06-19-2008 04:17 PM

70 yards?

Not worth the risk. Make it 50 and see what answers you get, 'cuz 50 is still a poke with a bow, ain't gonna be shooting at foam on this one.:D

valor10 06-19-2008 04:23 PM

Its bowhunting and about getting them in close. Ill save that shot for my Flintlock!:)
As posting X2 insults the intellegence of some, let me say that I unequivocally agree in absolute entirity withthe content of this particular response. Pardon me, while I spit in my Mountain Dew bottle.:D