Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Impact of Flooding on West Central Illinois deer herd >

Impact of Flooding on West Central Illinois deer herd

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Impact of Flooding on West Central Illinois deer herd

Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Impact of Flooding on West Central Illinois deer herd

http://us.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/18/midwest.flooding/index.html?iref=topnews

I was reading on cnn.com about the floods and it said that Levee breaks in Adams county Illinois caused 30,000 acres of woods and farmland to be under water.

Near Oakville Illinios floodwaters covered 21 square miles of corn and soybean fields.

Of course the first thoughts are with the people who are impacted bythis disaster. But the picture below from cnn.com got me also thinking about the deer herd in this area. What impact will this have on deer hunting in places like Adams county Ill and parts of Iowa and Missouri that border the river.

I'd have to think that alot of the fawns will be unable to escape the floodwaters. And also much of the crops will be destroyed so there will be less food to go around.

(The caption on the picture called this a "school" of deer LOL.)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Impact of Flooding on West Central Illinois deer herd

its getting bad here too, almost as bad as the flood of '93 was, and it hasnt even crested yet
Old 06-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

hopefully all the big bucks will head for Jo Daviess Co.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

its getting bad here too, almost as bad as the flood of '93 was, and it hasnt even crested yet
This crest as of now will be more than 10 foot lower than '93 for StL. It is close to '93 levels up around Hannibal though, within a half foot. Levee breaks up there will continue to lower the crest elevation.

Starting Friday I get the pleasure of 12 hour workdays thru the weekend and into next week on flood duty (levee patrol and inspections).
Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never did get to shed hunt a lot of the property I wanted to because it's been under water since before February with no end in sight...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really feel bad for the people out there, I know here in my town in NJ we are taking collections (money, food, water,clothing, etc.) I called my friend up yesterday, we have 2000 plus acres he lets us hunt, we are further enough away that there isn't any impact on the wildlife
Old 06-19-2008, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theyll head north where the water is going down becasue its all heading south along wiht all of our skeeters up here .
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

I really feel bad for the people out there, I know here in my town in NJ we are taking collections (money, food, water,clothing, etc.)
Let me ask a genuine question here...does anyone else besides me wonder why people choose to live in these areas, especially those that have lost everything at least once due to floods? Farmers I can see some point considering that the land is prime for their livelyhood...but beyond that I just cannot keep from scratching my head on it.

I consider myself a charitable person towards others in crisis...but this situation divides me inside. The charitable/caring vs. logical thought processes.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Because of modifications to the rivers as well as development in wetlands, you are getting a greater tendency for floods that impact areas that were not prone to flooding in the past. Also, keep in mind that many of the levees have been in place for generations and the areas behind them have been assumed to be safe. So everybody is surprised when they fail. My concern is why, after 1993 and the flood in 2000 people werent paying much, much more attention to the condition of the levees.

Quick Reply: Impact of Flooding on West Central Illinois deer herd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.