Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bucks and scrapes >

Bucks and scrapes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks and scrapes

Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bucks and scrapes

About 15 years ago when the 1st week of October rolled around it literally stunk like buck piss in my woods every where. Every where you went there was scrapes and a good share of rubs. Normally the gun season around my area is a 2 day season the 1st week of November and then a 4 day season the following weekend. That particular year (early 90's) they opened another season (2 days) the following weekend and it sounded like a war going on. Ever since that year the buck sign (scrapes and rubs) have really been non existent from what they use to be. Let me add that there was a pile of deer shot that 3rd weekend. The last few years its starting to pick up again finally but nothing like it use to be but it is getting better.

My question is. Why did it take 15 years for my area to recover and start to show signs of getting better? (My personal opinion is that we can thank the Mn DNR for there stupidity)! You think it would of happened well before that but I'm telling you it didn't!! The quality of bucks being shot the last 10 to 15 years around my area is nothing like they use to be. However the last few years its showing signs of what it use to be. Allot more bucks are now being shot like they were back 15 years ago. It was no surprise one bit to hear of a half a dozen B&C bucks being shot in a 5 mile radius years back. The last few years a few 180" to 220" NT have been shot during the gun season. Its actually nice to hear being I know the buck herd and the quality of it is coming back.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bucks and scrapes

Just curious.....the thread header denotes "Scrapes" and "rubs"..and your thread speaks of the aroma of buck piss in your woods. Why would these go hand in hand?

Just curious.... I'm probably gonna get a valuable lesson, here....lol.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious.....the thread header denotes "Scrapes" and "rubs"..and your thread speaks of the aroma of buck piss in your woods. Why would these go hand in hand?
I don't mean to speak for Shultzy, but the title is "Bucks and Scrapes", not scrapes and rubs.

The buck piss smell he is referring to comes from the scrapes when a lot of bucks are in rut and looking to breed.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I admitted I was likely to learn something from this thread......thus my question. I've been fortunate enough to watch several bucks work scrapes (4 separate bucks in one sitting....and probably 10 other individual occurrences). Most times.....I didn't even know the scrape site was there......but like I said....I've been very fortunate to see them being worked quite a bit, for my time afield.

I've yet to see a buck piss in a scrape he's made. Hence my question.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sat in a tree this year and had a 6 pointer piss and crap in a scrape, and then rake the branches to death right below me.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve, the DNR in my state could not find their hind quarters with both hands.
I have watched a very genrous bow season in my state that ran from Oct 1st to Jan 1st with only a 2 week gun season that ran from Nov 15th to the 30th giving us about 75 days to bow hunt. Now we have a youth season the weekend befor bow season opens, a 2 day handicap season in the middle of Oct, our regular gun season in Nov, a 10 day M/L season in Dec along with a 5 day gun season on private property. Now they want to extend the handicap season to 7 days and add another 5 day gun season in Oct. I dont even want to get into the lobbyist trying to cram the X bow into our regular bow season. We had the great deer slaughter of Mich about 6 or 7 years ago where they had unlimited 2.OO doe tags, some killed over 20 deer, 2 People I know killed 18 button buck between them. I'll give you on guess who were the biggest cry babies when they could not see a deer to shoot in the years after, we show no signs of recovery. They can have it, I am moving to Kansas.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I don't mean to speak for Shultzy, but the title is "Bucks and Scrapes", not scrapes and rubs.

The buck piss smell he is referring to comes from the scrapes when a lot of bucks are in rut and looking to breed.
You got it GUS!! You can speak for me anythime!!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schultzy, how do you know what Buck Piss smells like? Lol J/K I am just pullin' your chain.

If you find Primary Scrapes in the periods of Pre-Rut and Rut, chances are they will smell like buck piss. This is their way of showing dominance and also to let Does know "I'm ready too".

Fact of the matter, any buck will piss right in their bed as well.

LT
Old 06-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steve, the DNR in my state could not find their hind quarters with both hands.
I have watched a very genrous bow season in my state that ran from Oct 1st to Jan 1st with only a 2 week gun season that ran from Nov 15th to the 30th giving us about 75 days to bow hunt. Now we have a youth season the weekend befor bow season opens, a 2 day handicap season in the middle of Oct, our regular gun season in Nov, a 10 day M/L season in Dec along with a 5 day gun season on private property. Now they want to extend the handicap season to 7 days and add another 5 day gun season in Oct. I dont even want to get into the lobbyist trying to cram the X bow into our regular bow season. We had the great deer slaughter of Mich about 6 or 7 years ago where they had 2.OO doe tags, some killed over 20 deer, 2 People I know killed 18 button buck between them. I'll give you on guess who were the biggest cry babies when they could not see a deer to shoot in the years after, we show no signs of recovery. They can have it, I am moving to Kansas.
Damn these 2 states (MI and MN) have allot in common! Both of these use to be very impressive buck states. Like I said Mn is coming back but man its taking way to long. Mn will probably go backwards here soon again, its there style and money is more important!

Kansas should and will treat you well! Good luck out there John.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schultzy, how do you know what Buck Piss smells like? Lol J/K I am just pullin' your chain.

If you find Primary Scrapes in the periods of Pre-Rut and Rut, chances are they will smell like buck piss. This is their way of showing dominance and also to let Does know "I'm ready too".

Fact of the matter, any buck will piss right in their bed as well.
Right on LT! What I was saying though is that its a 180 from what it once was. It just blows me away its taking this damn long!

Quick Reply: Bucks and scrapes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.