Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you shoot a half rack? >

Would you shoot a half rack?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you shoot a half rack?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would you shoot a half rack?

i had a chance to shoot 3 different half racks last year and passed them up so i can get them this year....
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the answer to this question is relative to a hunter's NEED to kill a buck. JMHO

Who has the bigger NEED in this case?

Hunter A- Shoots the 1st 1.5 yr old buck that walks by cause if he don’t someone else will. And besides there ain’t no big bucks where he hunts.

Hunter B- Passes on multiple 2.5 yr old bucks and under, before finally getting a shot at an old bruiser with a busted off rack. 200# dressed would be 140”

Hunter C- Passes on a few smallish bucks, lets a real nice half rack go by that otherwise he would have shoot. Shoots a smaller but full racked buck a day later cause it was a purdy one.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

On a side note for those who wouldn't shoot in hopes of seeing the same buck the next season. You may want to read D & DH magazine (either June, July, August sorry don't have it in front of me) there is an article titled something along the lines of "They Walk til They Die" in reference to big buck travels especially during the rut.And even though I know it definitely happens(same buck seen year after year)I think the probability is far lower than some think. I will find the issue and exact title later at the house, it was pretty informative.
Deer & Deer Hunting, August 2008

The last section of the article states having a few 3 1/2 year old bucks is about the best most land managers can expect in the majority of whitetail locales.So for those of you passing on solid 3 1/2 year olds (half rack or not) the likelihood of you seeing them again the following season is basically slim to none(ecspecially on smaller tracts of land with surrounding hunting pressure)but I can still understand not wanting to use your tag on him if you are a horn hunter because while you may not see him again you might see one you like.

For the record I have no problem with guys wanting to take onlybig racked bucks but what I see a lot of(in my area)are guys that want to shoot big bucks and often don't succeedbut don't kill the first doe eitherand then theytalk about QDM because they are letting small racks walk, to mesome seem to be missing the bigger picture.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the answer to this question is relative to a hunter's NEED to kill a buck
Killing any deer is not a need - it is a want, and there is a vast difference between the two.

Steve
Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, happened to me....passed on it.....one of the biggest bucks I had ever seen alive/couldve shot....but no reason to shoot something that'll score 13"

Let him shed, and grow a new rack next year....

Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

I think the answer to this question is relative to a hunter's NEED to kill a buck. JMHO
I'm sure that is fairly true!

Dan
Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not usually.. I have a large buck that would probably be a ten pointer but is half racked.. I let him go two years in a row now hoping he would grow the other side.. But this year I seen him without it and seen a small fork horn with only one side.. Red Flag on genetics with me.. I will be taking them if I get a chance to remove them from the herd..
Old 06-18-2008, 10:29 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

If I'd shoot it with both sides, I'd shoot it with one.

I am thoroughly amused by all of the "mature" buck hunters who say that their #1 goal is to take a "mature" deer - but then supposedly are willing to pass up a banger buck with a beam knocked off.

But then again, I'm thinking that 90 percent of this is pure b.s. - your run of the mill internet bullchit spewed by the guys who never get anything, but invariably proclaim themselves to be"passing up" good deer all the time, because they're waiting out "the big one." LOL
It was just a question about if you would shoot a half or broken rack deer or not Quick, Not like it has anything to do with your peckersize if you decide to do so.
Cyber pecker size does matter so it seems. We see it with"10% " of the guys who shoot any buckevery yearjust so they can beat their cheston the internet to strangers. They remind everyone numerous times (sometimes frequently in the same post ) of their hunting greatness all through the year.Gosh I've even heard one call himself theKING. [8D] Hunt to make you happy is lame and a poor excuse. It hurts but one needs to admit it to fit in. [&:]

To answer the original question...

I would shoot a half racked buck ifhe was mature but not too mature, the moon eclipsed waswith the sun on a very cloudy day, to show off when no one was around and last but not least... bragging rights if we find out in this poll that it is cool to do so.It's how I roll!!

Tim
Old 06-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Dominant Buck

A half racked buck tastes the same as a whole racke one, that's all I care about.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dead deer. Tasty dinner.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a half rack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.