Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Grunting

Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Grunting

How often do you guys grunt while your out hunting? I was watching a hunting show the other day and this guy, Dr. buck or something like that i might not even be close, but he said it doesn't hurt to grunt or make any type of deer vocalization every five minutes. Is this true? i have been hunting for 6 years now and have shot several deer but i dont think i have actually called one in. Im just curious on how often you guys grunt while hunting, thanks!
Old 06-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Grunting

depends on when and where.....
I rarely blind call here in KY, but do it ALOT in KS. I don't think it hurts any. Once in KS I had a buck follow 2 does past me in a creeek. I listened for an hour while he chased these does in the creek splashing and grunting the entire time. He was very noisy. I've also noticed bucks that have trailed does past my stands grunting almost constantly. If I'm hunting the midwest and the rut is kicking off then I blind grunt alot. Here in KY I usually only grunt when I see a buck that doesn't look like he's coming in. I base this on the fact that the deer here just seem less vocal. I've heard the "roar" on several occasions in KS, and rarely hear bucks grunt here in KY.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually only Grunt when a Buck is visible and not coming where I want him.

With the exception of when I rattle I may throw in a few grunts.

I doubt grunting will spook deer unless you really got crazy with it. I have grunted in several Bucks and arrowed them, so it is a lethal tool.

So are Rattling antlers and decoys. I only use the Decoy a couple of weeks during Nov. but it's a blast to watch some of the reactions. I've also arrowed a couple nice Bucks on a Decoy. Decoying is work! No doubt about that!!

Dan
Old 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with droptine249....I might make a few minor vocalizations, but not a lot of blind calling.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I started bowhunting I grunted or bleated every 15 minutes. To my knowlege I have never had a deer respond to a blind call (not counting rattling). I have not done that for several years, now I almost never blind call - simply because it seems a waste of time. If I hear or see deer I can be much more specific as to how I try to call them in - and I have had pretty good results that way.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think the basic question is about "grunting", and I'll only do this ifI've seen the buck, and he's not coming the way I want him to come.I will not use a grunt blindly.Just me.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usally do it a few times when theres no deer around because you ever know what you might bring in. But I mostly just do it if a deer is walking away. Gruning and rattling is what i do when there going away.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 AM

To me it depends how deer I see are responding to different calls. Let the deer make that decision for you. If they are responding favorably thenI will blind call. If they are on edge and not interestedI think you are hurting yourself.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: skin_dog1

depends on when and where.....
I rarely blind call here in KY, but do it ALOT in KS. I don't think it hurts any. Once in KS I had a buck follow 2 does past me in a creeek. I listened for an hour while he chased these does in the creek splashing and grunting the entire time. He was very noisy. I've also noticed bucks that have trailed does past my stands grunting almost constantly. If I'm hunting the midwest and the rut is kicking off then I blind grunt alot. Here in KY I usually only grunt when I see a buck that doesn't look like he's coming in. I base this on the fact that the deer here just seem less vocal. I've heard the "roar" on several occasions in KS, and rarely hear bucks grunt here in KY.
interesting. very good observations i wasnt aware they could vary like that. thanks

Quick Reply: Grunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.