Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antelope

Old 06-17-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Antelope

I'd like to try some antelope hunting in eitherSouth Dakotaor Wyoming. Any recommendations to which is a better state for antelope? Also I was wondering if it is difficult in these states to get permission to hunt private land? If it is difficult is there any public land that has antelope and isn't overrun by hunters?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Antelope

Wyoming IMO hands down, more tags....bigger bucks, not sure which would have more public land, but in WY there is plenty of public....

I think it varies.....trespass fees happen in some areas, but I'm sure can vary.....

may have an easier time getting on private land for archery antelope, as rifle antelope is more the $$ tag probably. Also I think alot of guys don't expect an archer to get an antelope, so they're more likely to say have at it.

I think alot of ugys hunt public.....and it seems states are tryhing to help limit hunters etc...for a btter experience, i know in some surveys, states asked would you rather hunt less often if that meant better trophies and higher success rates, thats what I'd rather see, I don't need to hunt WY every year...but when I do, I'd like a chance at a nice animal....

WY antleope season is long so you can hunt later in the season and probably not see anyone.....
Old 06-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wyoming is definitely a great place to go. Not sure about getting permission on private ground. If you can set in a blind for long hours (sometimes that's not even necessary) Antelope are pretty much a given in a lot of areas.

There are a lot of states worthy of consideration, especially if you are looking at a DIY hunt and hoping to gain permission on private property.

Dan
Old 06-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

cwenisch
the Eastmans Bow Hunting Journal has ALOT of DIY info for antelope as well as all big game species from all the top states.. i DEF recomend getting a subscription. They even have all the information you would need for applying for the tags and what not. get a copy.. start reading.. when your ready.. pm me .. I WANNA go antelope hunting in WY baddly.. just need a few folks to join me.. or me join them for that matter..
Goodluck