Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Beans?  Corn?  Anyone seeing planting? >

Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

I'm a bit perplexed. The fields where I normally see planted in beans and corn still lie fallow.

If you're in the south (or anywhere, for that matter)....tell me if the planting has begun.....what stage it's in.....etc...?

I can't hunt these as "destination" food sources....but I know the herd I hunt utilizes them.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

We had an excessively wet spring which prevented a lot of farmers from getting their crops in early. I'm just now starting to see noticeable growth in the corn fields, still not seeing much for beans. That's for the fields that aren't under water right now after those storms last week and early this week. A LOT of farms across that state are going to lose their fields because of the flooding. Hopefully the water drops quick and they can get replanted in time for the fall.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

In Florida we have had an excessivley DRY spring. We are planting this Sunday. Please send us some of your water.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, Justin....and I've read and heard of your wet issues. God Bless 'em (the farmers).

What's got me perplexed is that NO fields (OK, one) around me have been planted with anything. They appear to be sprayed (herbicide)....so that's a good sign that turning and planting are imminent....it's just slow coming. I guess I shouldn't worry too much.....but the quicker they get planted, grow and get harvested.....the quicker the deer in my woods get back to "me" (and the mast crops).

Patience, I suppose....

edit** I hear ya snook. We're still dry (overall) from last year's excessive drought. While we did have a good amount of rainfall, this spring, we're still not where we need to be (in the big picture). Hopefully we'll get the rain we need and the fields will get planted, soon.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

We are seeing corn being planted for the 3rd time this spring in some areas. I've yet to see any beans planted here yet. Most no till the beans after the wheat is harvested, which is still about 2 weeks away in my area. It is strange to be nearing mid June and not seeing corn waist high. It looks like I will be hunting standing corn in October.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

We had the same problem here in PA as in the midwest. The corn is doing well though and I've seen some fields that are almost knee high already.

The beans usually don't start coming up until late June/early July around here so I guess they are on schedule, but won't be able to tell for a few weeks.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Iowa county we already have corn stalks that are around the half a foot range.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in NC the corn has been planted, most is 12-18 inches high...Early beans have been planted, late beans (usually in wheat) will be planted after the wheat is cut and planted between now and July 4th-10th...If you are seeing fields that have been sprayed with Roundup then I bet they will be planted in beans...The farmers are probably just waiting for some rain before they drill them, I doubt if they will disc them in your area before they plant, no till is big in the Piedmont, it helps conserve moisture and reduces erosion on the hilly land in this area...

Farmers were also behind on cutting hay because of the wet weather we had in May, so they are probably just pushed back a week or two...
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm seeing corn being planted this week.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.