Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Beans?  Corn?  Anyone seeing planting? >

Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

I suppose there's a chance they've alreadydrilled the beans....and the dry weather's just impeded their growth. That could very well be the case. On "my side", here....it would be beans for this rotation.....so, we'll see. I can stop and talk to the farmer on my way home.

Thanks for the updates, guys.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corn is just starting to pop up here in NY, only about 6 inches tall right now at the most, no sign of the beans or peas yet, hopefully soon!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:09 PM

in central wisconsin the corn is a few inches high, and the beans are probably about 4". My family leases out the fields, and for the first time in a few years it will be soybeans instead of potatoes, so im sure we'll see more deer now!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Here in SC the corn is 3-5ft depending on the area and the beens are starting to pop the soil to 3'' tall.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beans are in on the new prop in NW IL.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm a bit perplexed. The fields where I normally see planted in beans and corn still lie fallow.

If you're in the south (or anywhere, for that matter)....tell me if the planting has begun.....what stage it's in.....etc...?

I can't hunt these as "destination" food sources....but I know the herd I hunt utilizes them.
Here in the delta the corn is over my head and already putting on ears of corn,the beans are in all stages,some over knee high and some just being planted and every stage in between.It will all be gone by the end of august so it is basicll useless as far as hunting as a food source,the combines today don't leave hardly any waste like they did in thegood ole days,used to be alot of beans still on the ground after harvesting.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Wi lower has been planted for about 2 wks. corn just coming up, about 2" sprouts. But all this rain, don't know if they'll last.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Triple 19 is over $850.00 per ton from $280-$300 last year. Throw in fuel cost and allot of smaller farmers aren't taking the risk.One unit of RR corn is over $175.00 thats double last years cost.
Fuel & food are omitted from the governments inflation index,go figure.
And if this last salmonella outbreak hasn't convinced you to plant a garden this falls food prices will shock you into doing it next year.[:-]
Yep! Also, farmers have been butchering more beef due to high feed costs. Beef will be going up quite a bit this winter.

It was a cool wet spring here. Corn was planted a few weeks later than usual. It's about half as tall as it normally is.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

The amount of corn that will be planted this year will be down due to the rainfall keeping farmers out of the fields. Its borderline now for planting corn so expect to see a large increase in soybeans when and if it ever drys up.

Talk about flooding. Some people in my area and surrounding area have lost their homes, many roads are closed due to bridges and roads being completely washed out. Levee breaks along the wabash river has closed a highway so instead of driving 30 miles to my family's land in Indiana is now 65 miles[:-].
Old 06-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will all be gone by the end of august so it is basicll useless as far as hunting as a food source,the combines today don't leave hardly any waste like they did in thegood ole days,used to be alot of beans still on the ground after harvesting.
Yeah, but what about second growth? Since you are also in Deep South (Raytown), you should get a nice
second growth, which they usually hit until it dies at first freeze, which sometimes doesn't happen until
November or so. That's what I've seen on our place.

Quick Reply: Beans? Corn? Anyone seeing planting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.