Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Has anyone been charged by a whitetail buck >

Has anyone been charged by a whitetail buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has anyone been charged by a whitetail buck

Old 06-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone been charged by a whitetail buck

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

I got charged once. I was in me climber stand about 40' up a old tree just a waisting a nice after noon. A 112 " buck came troting up to the clearing(bigest damned deer I had ever seen in me life) I shot him and he spun around and ran right at me tree. then he rammed it going full boar!!!! crazyest thing I seen in a great while, just thought Id share!!

[hr]

[hr]

[hr]
Didn't know theyhad whitetail in Scottland!
Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years ago, during the rut, I was driving out my driveway on my way to a place I hunt regularly. As I crested a small knoll, I saw a big buck standing in my driveway. He started a slow trot away from me - for about 20 yards. THEN, he stops, turns around, lowers his head and charged my truck! This was a 3/4 ton extended cab full-size pick up. He was bluffing though because he veered slightly at the last second and glanced off the right front quarterpanel. I was glad I wasn't walking to one of my stands at home that morning with an enraged buck like that out there . . . in the dark . . . waiting for me!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: chris.terbush

Just wondering how rare my encounter was.believe it or not i was charged by a buck.

this is a really funny story that when told in full has some huge lessons. what do you guys think.
it was my first buck. i made a bad shot(1st mistake i should have calmed myself down before the shot) on it and after tracking it for a couple of hours (2nd mistake is that we were pushing him)we ended up in a corn field. my brother in law and i came within two corn rows before we realized we were right on top of him. [:-] i had forgot my bow which was my (3rd mistake). well i slipped out and left him there to watch the deer as i ran back to my stand. 1/4 mile away then 1/4 mile back. when i got back i was dead because i ran. (4th mistake). i could not pull my bow back so i handed it off to my brother in law as the deer stood up. he pulled back as the buck began to lower his head. he released just as the buck charged. he hit the buck in the eye socket and because he was turning it glanced off the bone and buried under the skin. i am convinced that the arrow breaking as he came after uswas the only thing that stopped him. he came after us for 3 rows then turned and ran away. needless to say we did not stop running... we were scared to death. i learned alot from my first buck. many, many lessons.

anyone else have a interesting story to share

i gotta ask did you go back to check to see if he was down at all in the following days ?

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing with a bow, but the second buck I got with a rifle tried to gore me. I had dropped him with a spine shot and he rolled down the hill. I thought he was done but when I got to within 30 yards he pulled himself up on his front legs and started to front wheel drive it out of there. I was way too excited so I just pulled up and shot and blew his front leg off right below the knee. I ran up and pulled my knife to finish him, but he tried to gore me with his antlers. At this point I reminded him that I still had the rifle with a finishing shot to the vitals.

That was not my proudest moment as a hunter, but I respect that deer as the toughest damn buck I've ever encountered.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM

yes we went back out a couple of hours later. this time we were much more careful and finished off the tracking job. he only went about 40 more yards before expiring. and there i was with my first buck. not quite how i pictured it but still rewarding.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing kind of close to these stories is a small buck that had been chased for over an hour by a big guy with a hot doe. I shot the big one, but the little guy wouldn't leave. I climbed the whole way down my tree, waved my arms, and finally had to holler to get him to go. He was only 10 yds away. & he still only moved a short distance farther away(40 yds). After getting help for the drag out, we kicked him out again when we returned.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

This one time at band camp.....
Old 06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never charged but I have grunted in two young bucks to within 5 yards while I was on the ground,one was an eight pointer and the other a seven pointer.They were so enamored with the grunting I was doing,I would repeatedly grunt them back to me each time they went to walk away.
They looked very glassy eyed and confused,in hind sight probably not the smartest thing to do,but as long as they didn't lay their ears back I wasn't concerned.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

ORIGINAL: switchbackXT_shooter

I got charged once. I was in me climber stand about 40' up a old tree just a waisting a nice after noon. A 112 " buck came troting up to the clearing(bigest damned deer I had ever seen in me life) I shot him and he spun around and ran right at me tree. then he rammed it going full boar!!!! crazyest thing I seen in a great while, just thought Id share!!

[hr]

[hr]

[hr]
Didn't know theyhad whitetail in Scottland!
Scotland?? im in missouri.[>:]
Old 06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

My family usually goes camping in Ludington State Park every summer and one year while I was on a morning walk at the dam a young buck informed me thatI was in his territory by lowering his head and turning his ears back.I decided to walked backward tilI was back on the dam thenI turned and went back to camp.

Quick Reply: Has anyone been charged by a whitetail buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.