Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thermacell your opinions >

Thermacell your opinions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermacell your opinions

Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thermacell your opinions

I have used one hunting in 100 degree temps in SC. It seemed to have worked although I did have bugs bothering me, I guess they would have been worse without it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

They work great.Yesdeer will beable to smell it just like everything elsenot natural to there surroundings.Will itscare them and will they tolerate it is the question.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've only used mine once so far in turkey season and wasn't impressed. I really hope that it works better come fall. There was a TINY breeze blowing, but if that's all the wind it takes to make it ineffective, I may as well toss mine in the trash because I never geta truly dead calm day.

I also figure that if they can smell the TC, they have already smelled me anyways so I've lost.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used one for he last couple of years, and I will not hunt the early season without it. I dont know if the deer can smell it or not, but is better than sitting there for hours swatting bugs.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

I can only give you my personal experience. I am not a Florida native so when I go spring turkey hunting or fall bowhunting, Iam not a lover of the heat and bugs.The places I go hunting is very swampy. The bugs are off the chain. Last spring I walked almost1 1/2 miles in and forgot to turn my thermacell on until I satdown. It takes about 3-5 minutes for it to start working. Those were the nastiest minutes of my life concerning bugs. Swarms ofmosquitoes tore me up. As soon as the thermacell heated up, the bugs started thinning out. In about 5 minutes they were mostly all gone and it stayed that way for the duration of my hunt. Would notgo into the swamps without one.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Unless you are into SM with insects, you won't hunt where I do without one. Gospel!!

LT
AMEN!
I bought one last year and used it here in Pennsylvania when it was unbearably "HOT" during archery season and it worked great. The Thermocell is usually talked about on this site 5 to 6 times a year and you basically ALWAYS hear the same things about it. As for the odor it puts off, when you fart in your treestand it not only stinks, it makes noise and that doesn't affect the deer does it?????.........No noise here......lol
Old 06-09-2008, 05:16 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I bought one and used it in the swamps of FL on a turkey hunt. It worked great. When we were walking the mosquitos were terrible and HUGE!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

this year alone i must have said this atleast 5 times
greatest outdoor activity invention ever ,
Old 06-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I've only used mine once so far in turkey season and wasn't impressed. I really hope that it works better come fall. There was a TINY breeze blowing, but if that's all the wind it takes to make it ineffective, I may as well toss mine in the trash because I never geta truly dead calm day.

I also figure that if they can smell the TC, they have already smelled me anyways so I've lost.
Look for past postings about the Thermacell, out of all the ones that I've ever read this is the first negative post, Rybo, you need to give it another chance. In my experience it works in a light breeze as well as while walking slowly. If your walking with a purpose it wont work but I'm usually walking slowly in the woods. Here in Florida you'll get bit right through a Bugtamer suit, not to mention the fact that I can't see through my peep with the facemask on. These things work great.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used one.. I do like it but i agree that if I can smell it then the deer can too, and I can smell it. Used it bear hunting in Canada and didn't get a bear.. Nuff for me honestly...

But it does work well. I use mine fishing, camping, late season turkeys and have used it for shooting does but I may try a blind for early season this year to keep away from the skeeters. I have a creek bottom in So IL that you can't hunt early without, but neversee thegood bucks at that timeeither..

Quick Reply: Thermacell your opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.