Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thermacell your opinions >

Thermacell your opinions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thermacell your opinions

Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thermacell your opinions

Unless you are into SM with insects, you won't hunt where I do without one. Gospel!!

LT
Old 06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and love it. I don't go into the woods without it now. The scent is noticable but barely. It will put off a much greater scent if you reuse an unfinished repellant pad. I always go into my tree stand with a new one. I throw the unfinished ones in my tackle box and use it when I go fishing!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think Dukemichaels said it best when he said (and I paraphrase)...

"I" can smell it.....so I KNOW the deer can.

That was enough, for me.
Nuff said!!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

I bought one about 3 years ago for hunting the bottoms areas in S. Illinois for early season and it worked great. Now it does give off an odor but I figure like most hunters I hunt the wind and usually give up that direction anyways so Id rather give off alittle odor on my downwind side instead of doing the bug slap dance all evening in the stand. Just hunt the wind like you should anyways and youll be fine.

Jay
Old 06-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

I bought one last fall and started using it. I hunt a lot of riverbottoms and wetlands, and I will not go back without it. It does not work while you are walking, nor does it work well while there is much wind. It has to be pretty calm for the fumes to surround you and work. I think it says this on the package though. I've literally gotten to my stand and while walking had mosquitoes covering my arms, the big dark black ones. As soon as I got to my tree before I started climbing, I lit the thermocell. I am not exagerating when I say 2 minutes tops, therewere no mosquitoes in my face or on my skin. I am a firm believer.
chris
Old 06-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm sure there are places in the country that have Uber-skeeters that will eat through a man's clothing. That being said....I hunt NC in early Sept....and I don't see the need for one. No matter what the temp.....I'm covered from head to toe. I wear long sleeves, always.....I wear gloves...and a facemask (Under Armour). Besides the annoying bit of "buzzing" I get, occasionally....I figure they're not penetrating my gear.....so I don't pay them much mind.

That's the "other" reason I won't use one. I don't feel a need for it.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in Tx they penetrate the light clothing required to withstand the early season heat. I have killed 5 deer while using a thermacell. If they smell it they don't seem to mind. I have also killed several feral hogs. I will keep using one in early season. If I didn't have the thermacell I'd be so miserable from bugs and heat I wouldn't bother going. I can put up with one but not both.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks everyone for your inputs on it. I picked one up a at a rummage sale for $9 brand new in the box unopened.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM

I will not early bow hunt without one. And like someone said earlier. If you hunt the wind why worry about what little scent it puts off. I promise you even with all the scent eliminating processes that we go through. The scent we put off will overcome the scent a thermacell puts off.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO they are excellent for turkey season,camping and very early season if im just trying to score a Doe and dont worry if i get busted. I can also smell it myself so the deer surly can. They do work though!!
foot note::: I used it several times in the early season with Does around, and did not get busted. may have been saved by lifting thermals but then again, who knows.

Quick Reply: Thermacell your opinions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.