Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck To Doe Ratio >

Buck To Doe Ratio

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck To Doe Ratio

Old 06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Buck To Doe Ratio

I just read an interesting little tid-bit in the Aug/Sept issue of Bowhunter Magazine. In an article called Whitetail Myths& Truths, it says it's biologically impossible to have a sex ratio of more than one buck to eight does. I thought, and have stated, that the B/D ratio in my area was more like one buck to ten doe. I guess things in my area aren't quite as bad as I thought.Anyone have any thoughts on this info?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Buck To Doe Ratio

I think thats BS, but then again i am no biologist
Old 06-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did the mention why its impossable?? just curious, i was guessing mine about the same as yours.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Did the mention why its impossable?? just curious, i was guessing mine about the same as yours.
No bloodcreek, they didn't go into details. They just briefly mentioned various beliefs hunters had about whitetails, and gave some facts. Like they mentioned 3 1/2 & 4 1/2 year old bucks do most of the breeding during the rut, and not thereally mature bucks, 5 1/2& 6 1/2 year olds ect.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

very interesting, wish they would have gave more details.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Dominant Buck

While bucks and does are born at roughly equal ratio, bucks suffer the highest mortality because of the prevalent "I gotta have a buck or nothing" mentality of the contemporary hunter. IOW we have no one to blame but ourselves. Even in a zero pressure environment buck deaths outnumber does deaths for the simple reason that bucks are more mobile, and solitary by nature, and therefore more vulnerable.The mythical 1-1 ratio is and always will be a pipe dream of the antler obsessed, no matter what they do to affect the outcome. Short of a 12 foot fence we cannot change reality. A 1-1 ratio is only possible under controlled circumstance, it will never happen in a wild herd, which is the principle reason why QDM is a pipe dream outside of a high fenced trophy farm. If 200" deer became the norm in the wild then the standard for trophy class would rise accordingly and the pressure for states to adopt restrictions to encourage more trophy class animals would grow, be careful what you wish for.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

While bucks and does are born at roughly equal ratio, bucks suffer the highest mortality because of the prevalent "I gotta have a buck or nothing" mentality of the contemporary hunter. IOW we have no one to blame but ourselves. Even in a zero pressure environment buck deaths outnumber does deaths for the simple reason that bucks are more mobile, and solitary by nature, and therefore more vulnerable.The mythical 1-1 ratio is and always will be a pipe dream of the antler obsessed, no matter what they do to affect the outcome. Short of a 12 foot fence we cannot change reality. A 1-1 ratio is only possible under controlled circumstance, it will never happen in a wild herd, which is the principle reason why QDM is a pipe dream outside of a high fenced trophy farm. If 200" deer became the norm in the wild then the standard for trophy class would rise accordingly and the pressure for states to adopt restrictions to encourage more trophy class animals would grow, be careful what you wish for.
Good post Kevin! Being lucky to hunt the great state of Illinois I have seen herds on both sides of the spectrum. Before we had our two buck rule, things were way out of balance in my neck of the woods. But, since we have gone to the two buck rule I have hunted areas that seemed like there were more bucks than does and that is no BS.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Keep in mind, that when more habitat is avaliable, in more "wild" areas, a ratio of 1:1 is the most common ratio. That statement is not my own, it is the statement of a biological study conducted over several years.
One thing I can say about this is, in the Bow Zone where I hunt up north, where therehasn't been ANY gun hunting since the mid 70's, there is a natural2 doe to 1 buck ratio. This area is "wild" despite the fact thatit consists of HUGE (as far as the eye can see)farms. These deer are vertually unhunted. This is why rattling workssooo well!