Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long Practice ?????? >

Long Practice ??????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long Practice ??????

Old 06-02-2008, 01:54 PM

Default RE: Long Practice ??????

It is good to prepare for 3-D's that way. 30 or more targets through a trail can whoop your butt at times.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might practice a total of 1.5 hours in a given day.... might. But thats not all at once. I might go outside, take 5 or 6 shots (usually one or two arrows at a time) then hang it up for 30 minutes. A lot of depends on exactly WHAT I am practicing. If I am trying to build up some strength, then I'll shoot 5-6 arrows for each end, fairly quickly, and do so for a good 15-30 minutes. If I want to practice GOOD shooting, I'll shoot 1-2 arrows per end for three or four ends and pick it back up later on.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot as much as I used to, as a matter of fact I don't think I have touched my bow for 4-5 weeks because of turkey hunting, work travel, and yard work. That's kind of disturbing now that I think about it.......I must be getting old......[:-].

When I was still single about 2 years ago, Jawshooter and I would shoot for 5-6 hours sometimes for 2 straight days in a row on a weekend. It was pretty common to in the same day to attend1-2 different 3D events, and then hop in the car to a local facility called the "Archery Barn" and shoot maybe another 100-200 arrows from 40-100yards at FITA targets finally heading home. I have in my journals one stretch of 6 or 7 weeks where I was shooting 1000 arrows a week every single week.

I truly wonder what I would have accomplished in this sport if I still had the kind of time to apply to the game like this and would have traveled to some national events..............[&:].
Old 06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

I don't think I have ever shoot for 2 to 3 hours straight.
I know I never have.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I really think you can do more harm than good by really long practice sessions. I prefer to make 20 to 30 good shots versus fling arrows for 2 hours.

Believe me your body will Thank You a few years down the road for not abusing it.

High poundage bows especiallywill eventually taketheir toll on your body.

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I here ya Dan I was abused in my youth with a 70-80# bow set on 75# just cause i could and it was kewl. I have grown up and got alot smarter I think As for the question, ill go 30 minutes max in practice.
ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I really think you can do more harm than good by really long practice sessions. I prefer to make 20 to 30 good shots versus fling arrows for 2 hours.

Believe me your body will Thank You a few years down the road for not abusing it.

High poundage bows especiallywill eventually taketheir toll on your body.

Dan
Old 06-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not shot in about 2 months. I shoot maybe 30-45 minutes about 4 days a week starting around August. This summerI will be hog hunting some so I willbe shootinga little more this summer.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will shoot 20-30 minutes then take a break for 15 and continue and repeat till I have somewhere else to be or it gets dark...It can last all day long sometimes, be in the barn working on some friends bows, building arrows and what ever else we can get into....I may wind up shooting all day but it is spread out and it does build endurance and muscle and when your muscles are conditioned your shooting will improve and decrease your wobble zone...
Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My groups start to grow after about 50 -60 shots and then I know it's time to quit. My shoulders hurt enough now and I still want to be shooting when I'm an old man. Hopefully by then we'll be able to get 300fps with a 400 grain arrow out of a 35# bow
Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 PM

I'm 56 years old and, as much as I love shooting, can't take a long extended session. 20 arrows might be maximum - and that's with a 60 lb. bow. With a 70 lb. bow, it's more like four or five. I've got rotator cuff and elbow issues, and want to delay surgery as long as possible.

As we get close to hunting season, I start shooting broadheads only. My routine is to get up every morning, go out in the yard in my PJ's and slippers, and fire one perfect shot. Put the bow away and go to work.

Quick Reply: Long Practice ??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.