Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day... >

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Old 05-31-2008, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen were around noon. Mybest buck was killed at 12:30PM working a scrape. I have a theory on that but itsway to long[8D]. When I walk3 or 4 miles to my stand, I set all day no mater what time of year.
I am very interested in hearing your theory.
I'm sorry magicman,[&o] after being ripped and put down for my spelling and grammar several times,[:@] I try to keep my post as short as I can.[8D] I do use spell cheek now and its gotten a little better.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

no go ahead, if you feel like taking the time to write it, we'll take the time to read it. Im very interested in hearing it.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some of the biggest bucks I've ever seen were around noon. Mybest buck was killed at 12:30PM working a scrape. I have a theory on that but itsway to long[8D]. When I walk3 or 4 miles to my stand, I set all day no mater what time of year.
I'm sorry magicman,[&o] after being ripped and put down for my spelling and grammar several times,[:@] I try to keep my post as short as I can.[8D] I do use spell cheek now and its gotten a little better.
Couldnt help myself gri22ly
Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Couldnt
help myself gri22ly

Couldn't help myself, Siman.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

I've killed 2 bucks and 2 does last season at or around 2:30 PM. I see the majorit of them oin late afternoon going to ffod sources. My problem wth morninghunts is that they are ona a mission, whether its rut or food and cannot stop them for a shot.

In the afternoon my tinks wick usuually stops them in their tracks. I did kill one at around 8;15 one morning cruising his rub line, but my kills have mostly been in mid afternoon to dusk.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 AM

Being new to hunting at such at late age, I too would be interested in reading your theory. I hunt private land that only has about 35 acres of woods and 60 acres open brush and food plots. The surrounding area has high pressure of hunting, especially more so during rifle then bow (which is why I'm out there more during archery season). Anyway, not to get away from the post. My short 3 years in this locationhas shown me that the hunting is more prevalent from 3 PM and on (in general). I think mainly because I'm hunting the food plots. However, this year I am moving a few stands further back into the woods near trails leading to the plots in hopes of connecting with a mature buck rather than the smaller bucks and does that come out earlier in the evening at such plots. My first two years hunting, I did alot of "all day" hunts, but found I burnt myself out? Hard thing to say when 10 months go by and all I think about is deer hunting, lol.

PS, nice site magicman.

So yes, write your theory, don't worry about spell check, I sure don't. I would take the time to read it. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

I have seen alot of deer activity durring the mid day hours. Be it from other hunters pushing the deer or what. I "heard" a theory once that deer feed on 12 hour cycle. Maybe they dont come out in fields or food plots every 12 hours but they do have to eat. I havent seen anything to prove this theroy wrong. So if they are feeding at midnight .....then that would put them feeding again durring mid day.
The oldest buck I ve killed was @ 11:30 am. (6 1/2 year old 7 piont)
Old 06-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you break it down to how many deer you see per hour that you'll see less during the middle of the day. I've still killed just as many deer during the day as I have early/late.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who gives a **** Grizzly what others think about your spelling!!!! Your a hunter, not a grammar teacher. Lets hear your story, you've always got good info!

Magic I can relate to what you say. During the gun season I see more bucks between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm because the gunners are coming and going so much at that time.

During the rut though I do see a good share of bucks of all sizes (more on the bigger side) between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm. I thinks its due to the fact that the doe's are getting up to get an afternoon snack or drink in and thus causes some commotion with some chasing around.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

Couldnt help myself gri22ly
I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to crash the party.

Quick Reply: Killing/seeing deer in the middle of the day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.