Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For you Hang On stand guys >

For you Hang On stand guys

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For you Hang On stand guys

Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: For you Hang On stand guys

Which Cranford steps are you guys using and which do you recommend? I think the kind I have are Ameristep. My complaint with them is tapping into smooth barked trees. Are the Cranford's that much better?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly use a Lone Wolf Alpha and 4 Lone Wolf climbing sticks. I can hang it pretty fast but have come to the conclusion that there is no real need to hang it in 10 minutes so I take my time. Whether it takes 10 minutes or 25 minutes you have still become a "presence" in that part of the woods and it will take the animals (squirrels, birds, etc.) a bit of time to become used to you. Unless it is the time of year when deer (bucks) can be moving any time of the day I just get to my spot and hour or two ahead of the time I expect to see deer movement. I also hunt 90% public land so there are no screw in steps and permanent stands allowed.

I guess I don't ascribe to the notion that speed is essential when getting into a tree.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jbowersox

Which Cranford steps are you guys using and which do you recommend? I think the kind I have are Ameristep. My complaint with them is tapping into smooth barked trees. Are the Cranford's that much better?
All of Cranfords steps are great for screwing into a tree.

"Best screw in the Business"

I use the fold up detachable steps, but they are all great!!

Dan
Old 05-16-2008, 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: jbowersox

I like the one piece the best of the ones I have, but they all go in easily. Yes, that much better and then some. I know on a smoothbark tree I can have one all the way in in 15 seconds max.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan if I did that I wouldn't have a cameraman for very long!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I put this safety belt together for holding my hang on and my bow. It allows hands free mobility when conecting the stand, and eliminates the need to pull up the stand or the bow. It features a lanyard with carabiner to work on any tree. What do you think?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stikbow26

Dan if I did that I wouldn't have a cameraman for very long!!!
I'm sure you wouldn't![8D]

Dan
Old 05-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

My complaint with them is tapping into smooth barked trees. Are the Cranford's that much better?
YES!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hang ladders before season and some of my hang on stands.....I have a couple simple set ups I use for moving around during season......On the ranch I hunt out in west texas I use light weight tri pods as we dont have very many trees that will allow you to use a hang on or climber.....I will also use my double bull to move around or try out an area I have interest in....Normally all my stands are in place well before season, I found a spot of interest last season and put my stand up this last April for next season.....I kno0w a lot of you guys probably hunt state forest and can not leave your stands up throughout the year but I hunt private land and it is an option for me....Both places I hunt a climber would have you very limited b/c the trees that you could climb are very few and far between....But I do see where they would be quite a bit quicker....I just dont have the trees to make use of them......If I did I would probably try them out.....
Old 05-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Cranfords are well worth the extra money and are that much better! I also use the one piece(rod steps), though any of the Cranford Ezy Climb steps are great!

Quick Reply: For you Hang On stand guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.