Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive? >

Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

Old 05-13-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

A few things I dislike:

I'll use Les Johnson's Predator Quest as a prime example of way too much editing and "Hollywood'ism". I can't stand shows where after the kill, they set up again, and re-enact the whole scenario. Drives me nuts. I know its fake, and so does everyone else.

I really like the way Jim Shockey, and TCs new show are setup/layed out. Gettin Close With Lee & Tifany is also very well played out.

I want to see high quality footage, I love seeing the work that goes into the harvesting of these big deer (planting food plots, etc). I really like "un-cut" footage, sure you can edit out the boring stuff, but when the deer/etc appears, I don't want anymore editing. Let it play out as it happens in my opinion.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

education, ethics, and shot placement
Old 05-13-2008, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

First hand experience bigger name sponsors you kill me Robin, thats funny stuff.
You saying I don't have that first hand experience? Laugh if you like, it is most definitely true. Unfortunately, not exactly funny to us. Kinda sucks actually.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to see good editing....as long as it is not blatently fake.

By far, the most important thing for ME is......high quality footage. If I see camera shake, I am done watching. I don`t care if it is showing a 190" buck. Cameras are made to be on a quality support system, and they should be utilized.

Next in line of importance to ME is......storyline. I like seeing critters get whacked as much as the next guy, but......I like to see and hear what they are doing, where they are at, etc. Not a "how to" video, just one that tells me what their adventure was all about.

It is always a plus when the people in the show look like they are genuinely enjoying it too.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know why exactly, but I often find myself watching "Team Fitzgerald." Kind of a corny show. Footage usually sucks...editing usually sucks. Not my favorite show by any stretch of the imagination, but there is something raw about it that keeps me watching. They don't shoot the largest animals but they are happy to take what does come by. I love quality production, but I guess I would rather have quality hunting.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

I HATE all of the Hollywood special effects and editing that are in some shows. (DRURY Brothers) Will Primos said it best, "This ain't HOLLYWOD"

Give me one camera over the shoulder shots and not 10 different angles of the guy drawing his bow.
Ditto!

I'd rather watch a lessor quality video than one that is recreated or has all the special effects. I want to watch a real hunt as it happens, not a glamous production. That could happen to have not the best video footage, but that is alright with me.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know, I'll probably catch some flack for this, but one of the few shows I do actually enjoy watching is Realtree Roadtrips. They show the "fun" side of hunting and hanging out with friends. It's not all about shooting monsters, or bragging rights; there's humor, unscripted scenes of back at camp, waking up, joking around, etc. He has some pretty good guests on sometimes as well.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

id rather see a shaky camera, with a great story
over a dead still camera, with a kill on video and thats it
Old 05-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

You know, I'll probably catch some flack for this, but one of the few shows I do actually enjoy watching is Realtree Roadtrips. They show the "fun" side of hunting and hanging out with friends. It's not all about shooting monsters, or bragging rights; there's humor, unscripted scenes of back at camp, waking up, joking around, etc. He has some pretty good guests on sometimes as well.
x2

I'll agree with ya there! Alot of these shows almost seem too "professional" give me a good ol boy (or girl) and let them have fun, pull pranks, etc etc and I'd watch that. Its just like being in camp with them then. There are 5 of us going to Montana this year Elk/Muley hunting, and I will be videoing the hunt and putting it together on a DVD for everyone that goes.

Whats a good camera in the 2-2,500 range? Or would I need to spend more? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

I agree with that, I like the huntersreal personalities coming thru too. I always have liked the Primos On the Porch Scenes. If I had to pick one brand of videos to watch, Primos would be my pick.

Quick Reply: Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.