Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive? >

Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

This probably belongs in the Photo/Video forum, but I figured this would get more views.

So I know many hunting shows aren't too popular with many of you in here (I'm included as well). I find myself, however, watching a few shows here and there that really stand out both in editing and footage quality, but with the "wow" factor going more toward the editing side of things. Thompson Center game trails is one that I think is really put together well on the post-production side of things, and the hunting is pretty interesting. So, when you guys see a TV show, aside from fenced vs. fair chase, what do you find more impressive...the editing or the footage quality? I feel, too often, there's more or less a combination of both poor video footage, and terrible editing on many of the low budget shows on the outdoor channel. To me that screams amateur and unprofessional, and I often wonder how these shows make it into primetime slots when we have people like HB who capture AMAZING footage, and the editing is very well done as well.

Maybe it's because I do a lot of graphic design, that the post-production side of things stand out to me the most, but I also realize that getting QUALITY footage is an art by its self as well.

So let's hear it...what would make you stop flipping through the endless shows of a guy holding a handi-cam and stumbling through the woods, and really sit back and be "wowed" by a hunting show? Would it take professional editing, quality footage, or both?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

I personally like the more rumbly bumbly hunts where they are movin quick or somethign suprising happens and you get their reactions on tape no matter what happens. Also when they have to go running through the woods or somethign or set up real quick and stuf like that and you get it all on tape and show it cuz htungin is not a production and cant be scripted out so why make it seem that way on tv. I like seeing the initial excitement of hunts not outtakes put into a hunt after its already done to make the video clean and seem like they get the person drawing ther bow/raising the rifle and stuff like that. I watch hunting shows to watch the hunt and in the heat excitement not some people pretending to be actors and fake a hunts parts with clips inserted. WCL
Old 05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

For me it's the quality footage.I like the reallity stuff with not much editing.I don't like the hollywood production style shows.To me to much editing leaves a void for them to fill with bull$h!t.IMO
Old 05-13-2008, 10:58 AM

I never get wowwed by a hunting or fishing show but I do like Rugers Adventures (last years). I enjoy just watching Lee and Tiffany's getting close and Ted Nugents spirit of the wild.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: M.Hensler/PA

This probably belongs in the Photo/Video forum, but I figured this would get more views.

So I know many hunting shows aren't too popular with many of you in here (I'm included as well). I find myself, however, watching a few shows here and there that really stand out both in editing and footage quality, but with the "wow" factor going more toward the editing side of things. Thompson Center game trails is one that I think is really put together well on the post-production side of things, and the hunting is pretty interesting. So, when you guys see a TV show, aside from fenced vs. fair chase, what do you find more impressive...the editing or the footage quality? I feel, too often, there's more or less a combination of both poor video footage, and terrible editing on many of the low budget shows on the outdoor channel. To me that screams amateur and unprofessional, and I often wonder how these shows make it into primetime slots when we have people like HB who capture AMAZING footage, and the editing is very well done as well.

Maybe it's because I do a lot of graphic design, that the post-production side of things stand out to me the most, but I also realize that getting QUALITY footage is an art by its self as well.

So let's hear it...what would make you stop flipping through the endless shows of a guy holding a handi-cam and stumbling through the woods, and really sit back and be "wowed" by a hunting show? Would it take professional editing, quality footage, or both?
Neither!

I don't watch these shows for the editing or even the quality footage, matter of a fact I hardly watch these shows. I have to say 99% of the shows, DVD and videos are all about a kill and nothing else! They are boring and all the same, just different faces! Here come the deer down the trail, I have tons of trail cam photos of this deer, the Kill shot then the "speech" thats the same, just different guys giving it! I personally don't need to see quality kill shot footage, give me some information or something, anything I can take in the woods with me and see if I can put it to use! Give me more shows/dvds like The Blood Brothers Outdoors: "Hunting Marsh Bucks"! JMO!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM

Off topic:

GO WINGS! The dynamic duo was on fire last night eh!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Swift Arrow

Off topic:

GO WINGS! The dynamic duo was on fire last night eh!
3 and 0 You know that right.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, it starts with quality video, followed very closely by quality auidio in the tree/blind. I used to enjoy watching Campbell Outdoor Challenge, but the footage on the last several shows has been really horrible, that I can't even watch it, almost like a Blair Witch Project video. As for editing, tough to know what was editted out without knowing some background on the whole story. Driven 24/7 with Pat Reeve does a nice job IMO of getting the important parts of the hunt in there, as well as some info about the hunt itself. Lately, some shows have been getting carried on the cut-aways (showing too many). I only need to see the person draw their bow from one angle and one time, show the impact multiple times, not the bow being drawn.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

persionaly i like the bowhunting more than the rifle cause they usualy get you up close to the animals they are hunting.

man you just opened up a whole new can of worms...

i get tired of shows that recreate senes, after the kill when they walk up and fake check if it is still alive while the camera is almost touching the antlers, or recreating pretty much every aspect of the show.

i like to see more action and less bla, bla, bla.

with all the selling products, you get 2 minutes of hunting which is mostly some guy talking about how good his ranch is. the other 28 minutes (- thecomercial break) is sell you about some fenced in guide with such and such product. is it too much to ask give your viewers what they want which is more time in the woods and less time talking about your 50 products?

there are few hunters on tv with any knowlege of the animals they are hunting and to push to produce some decent video they go to a high fenced operation so that 50 deer swam the deer stand like they were tied to the base of the tree. i would like to see a real hunt with average animals using knowlege and luck to produce a kill.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thinkquality footage & editing cane beequally important. When it comes to the editing side, some people want to see the "hollywood" production take on it and others want a more simplified edit. To me the most important in the editing iscreating a good foundation of the video. Some examples of this is the "Length of segment, footage within segment, footage included in timeline, order of timeline, simple audio/visual corrections"... basically the foundation of the video footage in the video.

If the foundation isn't done right, you'll hear of problems like, "The hunt was too drawn-out", "Thevideo was very jumpy", "Thetimeline orderwas confusing", "Why was this clip added"... etc. To get the foundation right, it usually requires lots & lots of reviewing from the editor and possible other personel involved....aka, Lots of time! I've seen bad foundations ruin a video.

A video can have one (great footage or editing) but without the other it's already lacking. I can think ofgreat examples where i've watched a video and the footage was great, but the editing sucked... &vise-versa.

If I had a choice, give me a video with good quality footage& a simple, but good quality edit

Quick Reply: Hunting Shows...What's More Impressive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.