Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The Ally has an problem I think.... >

The Ally has an problem I think....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Ally has an problem I think....

Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Ally has an problem I think....

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

so what yall are saying is that after a year a bow will lose poundage because the cables/string stretches??? and this can be remedied by twisting the cables and or string??
That can happen, but my guess is it's the scales. Doesn't hurt to check anyway.

Dan
Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Theyre brand new from Gibblet.....
There you go. He should have twisted enough for the poundage.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

so what yall are saying is that after a year a bow will lose poundage because the cables/string stretches??? and this can be remedied by twisting the cables and or string??
You got it.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im gonna try to explain a little better guys. Thanks for all the help. I got the strings back in Feb. I think.... So i still consider them new though Ive shot it a lot. I had 27.5" speed modules installed.Due to the cams leaning, the cable would not sitin the groove on the bottom cam so,The guys at the shop did a lot of twisting.... so if they go and twist more to get the poundage up, what will happen if The cams get out of sinc again? i told them to set it at 65lbs and I have been shooting it ever since.

So now(today) I had my28" modules(speed) and went to the shop and told them to crank it all the way down and see what kind of speed we were getting. He cranked it down checked the scale and it said 65lbs. and the draw feelsNO different than before. I can deal with 65lbs, but I'd like to know whats going on...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:40 PM

I hear ya buckmaster, if it were me, Id have it checked. It may shoot great, but you wont feel comfortable until you know it's right. My question is does it happen to most bows after about a year? Is this common? string/cable stretch causes poundage loss, I never knew that. Learn something everyday.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:46 PM

It already had twists put in the string when it was set up to get the cables to fall in track... He said that shouldnt have nothing to do with it. IDK
Putting twists in the string LOWERS draw weight and increases ATA.
I would suggest you take the strings and cables off the bow and Measure them under 100lbs of weight. Twist /Untwist to the factory specs.
Put them back on and ckeck your weight.
If you're still light , twist the cables maybe 1 or 2 twists. DON"T touch the String.
Don't worry so moch about your ATA and BH. They can vary some.
As long as the cams are synch'ed.

I would say since the bow's spec's are in line now , that your string is twisted too much and your cables are need a couple twists in them.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
bigcountry

Im gonna try to explain a little better guys. Thanks for all the help. I got the strings back in Feb. I think.... So i still consider them new though Ive shot it a lot. I had 27.5" speed modules installed.Due to the cams leaning, the cable would not sitin the groove on the bottom cam so,The guys at the shop did a lot of twisting.... so if they go and twist more to get the poundage up, what will happen if The cams get out of sinc again? i told them to set it at 65lbs and I have been shooting it ever since.

So now(today) I had my28" modules(speed) and went to the shop and told them to crank it all the way down and see what kind of speed we were getting. He cranked it down checked the scale and it said 65lbs. and the draw feelsNO different than before. I can deal with 65lbs, but I'd like to know whats going on...
Ok, thats fine. If the cams get out of sync. you have two cables you can adjust. You twist one, one full rotation, you got to twist the other one one full rotation. No out of sync. You can also untwist your string. You got three adjustments on that bow. Two cables and one string. Also make sure he is making sure they are in sync at full draw, not at rest.

I can twist my cables 20 times each and they wont' get out of sync. I can untwist them 10 times and they wont be out of sync if they were in syncin the first place. You adjust one, you have to adjust the other. If you got cam lean, then that is another issue entirely and should be dealt with.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:21 PM

Due to the cams leaning, the cable would not sitin the groove on the bottom cam so,The guys at the shop did a lot of twisting....
This was the start of your second problem. twisting the strings and cables will not change the lean. That's rediculous to try something like that.
Do what I said in my prior post , and , of course make sure the cams are in sync. By this I mean the cable stops should contact the cables at the exact same time at full draw. This is where a draw board comes in handy.
On a BT , you should be able to pull a piece of paper through the space between the mod stops and the cables. Your intention is to not have any movement in the cables at full draw when you pull hard into the draw stop.
You WILL have to adjust your draw stop to get this done properly. But at all times the mod stops needs to be in sync. or you will not be able to paper tune the bow.

As faras the cables and string not tracking properly, if it doesn't come off the cam , ignore it FOR NOW. It may be an issue, butget your bow in tune first.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like getting your bow in someone's hands that knows what they are doing is a Good start.

Dan
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

archer58 gave you some real good advice; if you don't have a draw board, you can also pull your bow to full draw on a scale and examine how the stops are lining up and you'll be able to see which cables you need to twist/untwist to get your cams back in synch.

Quick Reply: The Ally has an problem I think....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.